battery cover mod : back glass replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mytran80, Aug 22, 2010.

1. mytran80 macrumors regular

hi guys , thought i might share some pics of my other project with you guys ,just trying to stay active here :D

well i got a hold of my uncle's heat gun , so i went ahead and replace the black back glass with my $4.50 aftermarket white back glass , i didn't want to do this mod at first but i was like "what the heck, just do it" lol , overall the total cost was $4.50 for me , special thanks to my uncle ,hehe :p

feel free to ask questions , i welcome all suggestions , advices ,and tips .
    flamers and haters keep out and keep things to yourself.

enjoy the pics ,but please note, there is still glue residue all over the phone , pics are still fresh from the project;)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. barachus macrumors regular

you are one brave guy, but i think it turned out nice

3. simple20 macrumors regular

You ARE a braver guy! It already looks like that piece of glass is getting scuffed and scratched though, which sucks. but with the griffin reveal looks amazing with the white back

4. xraytech macrumors 68020

Very nice. :)

But you overlooked one thing. What if you need to take your phone in for service? I guess you can reverse the process. That's why I think getting a complete back is the better option.

5. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Nice job, you are brave.

Side note: I don't know if this bugs anyone else like it does me, but on all of the non oem replacement backs I've seen, none of them have "iPhone" in the correct font. Drives me crazy.

6. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

finally you did it the right way...but you're still missing the camera chrome bezel. looks better than how you had it before though

7. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Why glue? Just buy an authorized piece. You're screwed if you need Genius Bar help.

8. bludragon06 macrumors regular

I think it looks great! One thing to note is that the original back pieces didn't say what capacity the phone is. I noticed it on the new back piece! But very nice! I like this mod as I hate the look of the white iPhones. I think they look hideous with white on the front and back. Back is great. Front = too much! Nice job though!

9. mytran80 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys for all the compliments :) I feel real good about it , I was actually at red lobster today ,and the waitress was hypnotized by it , she was like "wow" lol so funny

No worries I cleaned off all the glue residue with acetone , the glass is mint no scratches , I think you were confused with the scratches on my griffin reveal case lol

10. chanerz macrumors 6502a

11. S.Kay macrumors member

S.Kay

Could you post some follow up pictures. I would like to see how it looks without all the residue. Thanks! :D

12. mytran80 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh you mean full oem battery cover? That's what I wanted ,but man $100 + for that piece and it's not even complete (missing diffuser) is kinda hefty for me right now since I spent $300 on iPod touch , iPhone 4 ,and iPad accessory alone this month .

As for genius bar services , I can always reversed the process as mentioned by the other member from earlier post , no problem.
    I've had 6 iPhones in the family since 2007 and I had never had to bring one in before but yeah warranty is still important

13. ipadder macrumors regular

hey good job with that! I'd try if I had a ray gun laying around :D can you tell us if the flash is an issue at all (i.e. fading because of the white light)

14. mytran80 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes you are correct , let's not forget that I have 3 iPhone 4's in the family :D wink wink

Yes the complete back cover is a better option of course but if money wasn't an issue , please note that all current white battery cover in the market are incomplete :(

15. labman macrumors 604

labman

So if your phone with the white back phone has a issue how is 2 other phones going to help you wink wink. I wanted the white but I now have it in black I am not near crazy enough to to this.. you got more guys then me kid enjoy.

16. GeekAhead macrumors member

GeekAhead

17. rmastbro macrumors member

What adhesive did you use for the white glass?

18. mytran80 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks man , yeah the Ray gun is useful especially shooting down Nazi zombies trying break into your house from the window lol

Glad you asked , the glass is missing a flash diffuser so it washed out the pic from the inside , I need to glue something in between the camera lens and flash , and some sort of circular micro tube in front of the flash to have the light beam straight forward rather than sprawling out blocking the cameras view

19. mytran80 thread starter macrumors regular

I know you have the guts and balls to do it "lab man" , don't worry I won't rule you out as a crazy nut case lol just be prepared , do some research, and ask questions ahead of time , you will achieve success ,and minimize flaws

20. mytran80 thread starter macrumors regular

I use 3m Adhesive spray , it's like a spongy liquid glue , This kind of glue can be soften by heat if you ever decide to switch back . I don't know about super glue though

21. mytran80 thread starter macrumors regular

eBay my friend , only 4.50 shipped

22. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Small detail I noticed that makes me much prefer the glass replacement vs. the whole back piece replacement.

When you replace the entire back piece, the edging around the glass is white and when you look at the phone from the side, it looks...awkward.

Doing it this way achieves a more balanced look if you aren't replacing both the front and back IMHO.

[​IMG]

23. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

pretty simple if you think about it

if his phone has a problem, he temporarily switches his white back for one of the black backs of the other phone

then when he gets a new phone/repaired phone, he switches back to the white back and gives the black back to the other phone

:cool:

24. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

Got mine from DirectFix.com, although i must say his was def the cheaper way! It fits just like the OEM so i am happy about that.

Attached Files: