Battery 'Current Capacity' at 97% - new MB Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by LastLine, Feb 8, 2012.

1. LastLine macrumors 65816

Hey all,

Just bought a new Macbook Air, and as I often do I installed my little utilities on. One of those being Cocounut Battery.

Interestingly I'm told that my battery's current capacity is 6551 mAh, and it's designed capacity is 6700 - a shortcoming of 3%. Is this something that's likely to change as I do a full charge calibration on it or is it something I should bother Applecare about? I'm a little unsure where to with that. I know it's not a big difference, but I do feel that out of the box I should get the full 100%

Thoughts? :)

2. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

It's fine and will fluctuate. Completely normal.

Don't overreact. :)

3. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah? So I should realistically expect to see that 'current capacity' fluctuate below where it is, and likely also at some point, up to the full design capacity? First time I've had a NEW laptop since finding Coconut battery so had a small worry :)

4. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Yup. It will go up and down in the short run, with an overall decline in the long run.

It's fine.

5. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

That's much what I expected to hear.

Sometimes it's just nice to have someone confirm what you're already thinking.

6. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Mine reports all sorts of figures, even 93% health and it stills reports upwards of 11 hours remaining as soon as i unplug it after a full charge. In reality it lasts 6 - 7 hours when i let it drain fully... unless i start watching videos etc.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries.

It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is less than 100% when new or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: