Battery Cycle @ 97% Normal for 3 week old macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MrSourcream, Sep 24, 2008.

1. MrSourcream macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

new to the forums and I got a few questions.

I got my Macbook about 2-3 weeks ago, the 2g one. However, I noticed that the battery life seems short and not lasting very long.

I downloaded Coconut and it told me my macbook is 2 months old and has 97% capacity left.... Is that Normal??? Should I return it for repair or anything like that?

Any advice you guys can give me would be great.

My Girlfriend got hers around the same time and it seems that her battery life outlive mine by SOOO long. When first fully charged it says hers if about 5.30 hours and mine is about 5. It's weird.

Thanks a bunch guys.

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

If you are worried that you don't have 100%, it's OK.

Batteries can go 97% to 100% when charged . Also, batteries will lose some charge capacity, but after a few years. If kept healthy (calibrate every 1-3 months), it can keep a 80% capacity after a few years.

Also, even on identical machines batteries may perform differently depending on settings and use.

If you have less than 300 charge cycles and less than 80% capacity, you can contact Apple and see if they can exchange it for a new one.

BTW, congrats to you and your girlfriend on the new MacBooks :)

3. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

4. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

It's normal, mine's around that age and is 98%. On my PowerBook, it says it is 24,500 months old...