Battery Cycle Question for Late Retina 2013 Model

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tron2, Feb 9, 2014.

1. tron2 macrumors newbie

Hey,

I just got myself a refurb Retina macbook pro 13 Late 2013 model with 8gb/256SSD. So far I am quite pleased with it, but I have question with cycle usage.

I have managed to do 21 cycles so far and it is only 3 weeks old. Now I was using the laptop on battery non-stop and charging it. I have to use a special app for work which is Silverlight based (and yes, it brings the battery down with it quite fast). I have read all those docs at apple support about battery usage.

Anyway to my question

Do I have the laptop always plugged in, to keep cycle count low, or just use it unplugged and charge it when needed? I did buy a laptop after all to be mobile most of the time. Or do I just hit 1000 cycles whenever that is , and get new battery from Apple when the time comes?

Thoughts? and feedback?

Thanks

2. Sandman27 macrumors newbie

I have spoken to Apple about Macbook batteries and cycles. The advisor I spoke to has been with Apple since 2005 and owns personal Macs. He told me the best way to keep a long lasting battery (as in time) is to always have it plugged in when near an outlet. Once a month charge it up to 100% (shouldn't be less than 100% if you're always on wall power) and then let it run down to the 10% range. Once you hit that you can recharge it and keep it plugged in. He advised me that the batteries Apple places in its devices (including iPhone and such) don't need to be run in cycles, just once a month running it down so the electrons move some. Otherwise, He said you could easily only use 12 cycles a year and get the most out of your battery without damaging any health!

3. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

This!

Keep it plugged in when you can, but I wouldn't worry about using cycles on the battery. Batteries are at the end of the day consumable pieces of hardware that are meant to be used, not placed on an altar and worshiped for their lifespan.

If you are particularly concerned you can buy Apple Care and extend your coverage to 3 years for the Mac and your battery.

4. tron2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the nice response.

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

:):):)

6. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

Interesting, I've tried to follow a similar regiment as much as possible but I have my laptop out in the world without power often. Even so, I'm sitting at 9 cycles over the course of 5 weeks so I don't think I'm doing too bad. I'll keep this mind from now on though. Good advice.

7. Sandman27 macrumors newbie

Yea Ive had my MBP since Jan 2013 and managed to put on 179 cycles. When I asked he said thats not that bad but you can really cut it down by keeping it plugged in. Im used to the old laptop batteries that you needed to cycle or they developed a memory. He told me the new batteries and theyre chemical make up allows this kind of charging process without creating a memory or killing its health. He said at about 5 years the battery health will eventually deteriorate because the chemicals eventually break down, like in all batteries, but theres no need to worry.

8. tron2 thread starter macrumors newbie

How did you manage to get 9 cycles in 5 weeks that to by using the battery regularly. I managed to get 22 so far in 3 weeks of regular battery use (daily).

9. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

Iunno, take it to school at 100% and run it down to almost nothing over the course of 2-3 days and have it plugged in whenever I can. I'm getting incredible battery life with screen below half brightness doing normal tasks while on battery, very pleased.

10. tron2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow that is very cool. As soon as I run my batteries down, on the following full charge the cycle count increases by 1. I wonder if something is wrong with my battery.

Anyway, it is awesome to hear that your battery works really well :)

11. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

Thanks, I hope you get yours sorted out. Keeping in mind that the battery is meant to last at least 1000 cycles I'm sure you'll be fine for a good long while.

12. tron2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I did go to Apple store, they tested it out - and said my battery is really good. Yeah, I am not worried about reaching the 1000 cycles approx battery life.

The laptop runs great, can't complain at all

Thanks

13. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Even at the rate you are going, it will take you 3 years to hit 1000 cycles. Your battery will most likely still be sufficient at that point. Though, not 100%.

Most people don't even keep their computers that long so just use it without worrying about it.