Battery Cycle

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hirtaza, May 13, 2014.

1. hirtaza macrumors member

hirtaza

Hi,
    I just got my first macbook pro retina 15 and im super excited since this will be my first mac product EVER!! My question is i see people here looking at the battery cycles (specifically when buying a used product) or for whatever reason...most of the time i keep my laptop plugged in on my table even if its 100% charged if i take it off for a minute or two and put it on charge at 99% would that count as a charge cycle? Plus also what can i do to maximize my battery life as i plan to keep this for atleast 4+ years! Thankyou!

Im in school cant wait to go home n open my new baby!

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

Congratulations :)

Now you read here: http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

3. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

Congrats you'll love it.

The batteries in MacBooks are good for 1000 cycles, so Apple says.
    One cycle is from 0% and back up to 100%, unplugging and going to 99% doesn't count. If you drop the charge to 50% on day, then plug it in and go back to 100% that is a half cycle. Do the same thing again and it will count as 1 cycle.

The best advice I've had for my Macbook was to use your laptop as you say you are, plugged in for as often as you use it and once a month unplug it and drop the battery as long as it will go. This gets the ions flowing through the battery and keeps it in top shape.
    In theory you could have 12 cycles in 1 year. Considering it's good for 1000 I think it's very safe to unplug once in awhile.

Since I got mine in February I've only had 25 Cycles using it as a student.