Battery cycles good?

Closingracer

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
I have a 2015 13 inch macbook pro which I got in January 2016 and it currently went through 31 cycles.... Is that good or bad curious?

btbam91

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2015
I have one that I got in December 2015 and it has 25 cycles. I just leave it plugged in all day.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Everyone if different. You are on battery all the time, you will have more cycles. If not, and are plugged in, you are not going to see many cycles. Regardless, the battery will wear out over time. Just use it and not worry about others.

Closingracer

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Well I just want to gauge am I using it way to much on battery and seeing if it will die sooner....Or later

This is my first computer I own that I can't take the battery out..... If I know I'll have it plugged in a long time I usually just remove the battery and have it plugged in

Toutou

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
This is my first computer I own that I can't take the battery out..... If I know I'll have it plugged in a long time I usually just remove the battery and have it plugged in
The battery doesn't care, when a laptop is plugged in it uses energy from the mains. No need to take it out.

Also, 31 cycles in four months sounds 100% normal. Mine (late 2013) has 204 cycles on it after almost two years of abuse (I plug it in multiple times a day) and the capacity is at 96%, feels like brand new.

Don't worry about the battery. At all.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Well I just want to gauge am I using it way to much on battery and seeing if it will die sooner....Or later

It doesn't matter use it how you will, it makes very little difference to modern batteries, they will last between three and five years retaining above 80% of capacity then need replacing whatever you do.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

Removing the battery doesn't do anything to help apart from making you waste your time in a useless practice.

The battery doesn't give a hoot how it's used, it'll die from old age 3-6 years down the road from when it was manufactured and that's that. There's nothing you can do about it.

Use it how much or how little you like, it doesn't make a moniker of difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.