Battery cycles & new macbook pro upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ohemgeemad, Oct 26, 2011.

1. ohemgeemad macrumors newbie

So if at 1000 charge cycles, the macbook pro is expected to retain 80% of its capacity... then the more cycles you put in, the quicker it lose its capacity. Correct? Or should you keep it plugged in most of the time to not put as many charge cycles in it? I know you're not supposed to keep it plugged in all the time.

And did anyone notice the upgrade for macbook pro this week? It is now 2.4GHz instead of 2.3GHz. (I just got my macbook last Friday. Geesh) does the .1GHz really make a difference?

2. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

You should power cycle it once in a while I believe, check on the Apple site, they have info regarding battery maintenance.

The upgrade is 2.5 instead of 2.3ghz now, standard at 2.2, hi-end at 2.4ghz. And no, you won't notice a difference at all.

Also, fyi, if you only got yours last Friday, you are eligible to exchange it for a newer updated model, or so I have been told. (14days exchange period)

3. ohemgeemad thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, what's this with the new 2012 macbook? I've read different things online about the release date and such. I don't care about the release date, but how drastically different could it be from the 2011 macbook? I guess what I'm trying to say is... how could it get any better?

4. simsaladimbamba

Apple Bumps MacBook Pro with Processor, Graphics, Storage Upgrades

----------

We don't know, we only speculate, though there are some threads about this issue in this very sub-forum. Maybe a look inside those would help you better, than reiterating the same ***** here.

5. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

ok i wasn't going to post this originally, but now it seems important.
    My 2010 MBP 13" has just dipped it's health into 79% after 58 load cycles and only 14 months of use [according to coconut battery]

im assuming that this will change once i find the time to calibrate it properly, but if it stay at 79% should i take it to the apple store [since i should be getting 1000 cycles before the below 80%] or would it be safe to assume that i should just give it time [as the MacRumor Battery Guide says that the battery health does keep changing]

thank you!
    I will update this once i do a proper calibration [though i believe that the only time i can do this is over the weekend.]

6. ohemgeemad thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! Do most people use coconut or istats or whatever to monitor the battery?

7. simsaladimbamba

We don't know, as no objective statistics are floating around here.
    But going by the thousands of battery posts every day, it seems to be split between iStat Pro and Coconut Battery.

Btw, here is a "2012 MBP" thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1101773

8. ohemgeemad thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, again! I guess what I was trying to ask in my previous reply was if it was all that necessary to use those battery monitors.

9. simsaladimbamba

No, it is not necessary, unless you suspect an ill behaviour. Otherwise that constant monitoring will just distract you.