battery cycles on mid-2013 MBA seem low

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bluerazr, Jan 23, 2015.

1. bluerazr macrumors newbie

So I bought a mid-2013 macbook air on craigslist earlier this week and for a machine that is supposedly a year and half old, it is in perfect condition. The machine is immaculate and in system info shows only 2 battery cycles.

Either the battery was replaced recently or the original owner never ever used it. Is there any way to see if it was replaced recently or somehow the cycle count was changed? It has a fresh install of Yosemite and the info has not changed.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Some users run primarily on AC power, and rarely cycle their batteries. Check the battery health with iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of battery health and cycles and computer uptime, among many other things. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion and later. You can download it here.

If the battery health is good, it doesn't matter if the battery was recently replaced or not. Just use it and enjoy your Mac.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions, including tips for maximizing battery performance. If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't think there is any way to change the cycle count. Sounds like maybe a new battery.

http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

Install Coconut battery and look at this screen for the Mac and the battery manufacture dates.

[​IMG]

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I have sold a Macbook Pro that was over a year old with only one cycle on the battery. It was always plugged in and the battery health showed "Excellent".

Either way, just enjoy!:)

5. bluerazr thread starter macrumors newbie

You guys are absolutely correct!

From my experience I would never buy a laptop to keep it plugged in, which is why I found it so hard to believe it had so little battery cycles.

Thank you guys a lot! :D

Attached Files:

6. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

Hopefully whoever bought it was smart enough to realize that battery was nowhere near excellent. Low cycle counts are not a good indicator of overall battery health at all.

7. motrek macrumors 68020

How do you know the condition of that particular battery?

And low cycle counts might not be a good indicator of battery health, but presumably Apple's "Battery health" reading is, and that's clearly what Newton's Apple was referring to.

8. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I had no idea that you knew better than Apple. You really need to change your signature so everyone knows that you are an expert!:p

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Low cycle counts are not a good indicator of overall battery health, but a battery health reading of "Excellent" is. Just like the OP's battery, with only 3 cycles after almost a year, it still shows greater than 100% health.