Battery cycles on new MacBook Pro

r7un

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2015
new delhi
I just got the new 13" MacBook Pro with force touch trackpad and 512GB storage from a premium reseller store in New Delhi. On a hunch, I decided to check the system profiler for the number of battery cycles that the notebook has already undergone. I noticed the cycle count at 3, while I have charged the notebook only once since I got it.

Anyone have any idea, if the notebook ships with 1 or 2 cycles, like during the installation/testing at factory. Or is it supposed to be at zero only?

The reseller isn't able to tell. He says, it can randomly differ, but 1 or 2 cycles is normal. Like a new car is usually show-room delivered with 10-15 mi/kms on it.

simonsi

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I just got the new 13" MacBook Pro with force touch trackpad and 512GB storage from a premium reseller store in New Delhi. On a hunch, I decided to check the system profiler for the number of battery cycles that the notebook has already undergone. I noticed the cycle count at 3, while I have charged the notebook only once since I got it.

Anyone have any idea, if the notebook ships with 1 or 2 cycles
Well self-evidently it does ship with 1-2 (the electricity has to get in there somehow), unless you are floating a conspiracy theory that yours isn't new? Basic testing at the battery supplier and Apple assembly line would easily account for 1-2...

r7un

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2015
new delhi
i don't want to doubt unnecessarily

no no. i do not want to doubt anything unnecessarily. i buy my stuff regularly fro the premium reseller. and he gives me great service. too many variables would be involved, if i doubt.

a. it would take a cycle at least to get the electricity in.
b. if it is not new, why would anyone use just one cycle. why not a few more?
c. why should the reseller lie to me? he would risk losing a good customer.
d. if there was a conspiracy involved, they would have reset the cycle count as well.

GoofyCyborg

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Wales, UK
I purchased an early 2015 13" 2.9 512GB rMBP a month ago from Apple.co.uk and mine had a couple of cycles on the device.

Device was sealed, no signs of use. Didn't think anything of it at the time and I still don't.

Just enjoy your computer.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Macs and other devices do get tested and "burned in" at the factory to help weed out any obvious issues, so yes, 1-2 cycles out of the box is normal. Mine had them too, as did the MacBook Air it replaced.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Anyone have any idea, if the notebook ships with 1 or 2 cycles, like during the installation/testing at factory. Or is it supposed to be at zero only?

The reseller isn't able to tell. He says, it can randomly differ, but 1 or 2 cycles is normal. Like a new car is usually show-room delivered with 10-15 mi/kms on it.
I didn't check my battery the day I brought my 2015 13" rMBP home, but when I did check it about a week later I saw that it had 6 cycles. I'd probably done 2 or 3 cycles myself, so I'd say a few cycles on a new battery is pretty normal.

r7un

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2015
new delhi
all seems well

i think all is well here.

i had checked the cycle count to be at 3 while draining it after a full charge. then i charged it again, and while charging the cycle count was still 3.

now i am draining it again, and the cycle count is at 4. which means:

Cycle 1: Charge during installation
Cycle 2: First Drain after purchase and subsequent charging.
Cycle 3: Second Drain after purchase (I made the first observation at this point)
Cycle 4: Now, after another subsequent recharge.

this way it fits. so no issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.