Battery cycles on new MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by r7un, May 30, 2015.

1. r7un macrumors newbie

r7un

I just got the new 13" MacBook Pro with force touch trackpad and 512GB storage from a premium reseller store in New Delhi. On a hunch, I decided to check the system profiler for the number of battery cycles that the notebook has already undergone. I noticed the cycle count at 3, while I have charged the notebook only once since I got it.

Anyone have any idea, if the notebook ships with 1 or 2 cycles, like during the installation/testing at factory. Or is it supposed to be at zero only?

The reseller isn't able to tell. He says, it can randomly differ, but 1 or 2 cycles is normal. Like a new car is usually show-room delivered with 10-15 mi/kms on it.

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Well self-evidently it does ship with 1-2 (the electricity has to get in there somehow), unless you are floating a conspiracy theory that yours isn't new? Basic testing at the battery supplier and Apple assembly line would easily account for 1-2...

3. r7un thread starter macrumors newbie

r7un

i don't want to doubt unnecessarily

no no. i do not want to doubt anything unnecessarily. i buy my stuff regularly fro the premium reseller. and he gives me great service. too many variables would be involved, if i doubt.

a. it would take a cycle at least to get the electricity in.
    b. if it is not new, why would anyone use just one cycle. why not a few more?
    c. why should the reseller lie to me? he would risk losing a good customer.
    d. if there was a conspiracy involved, they would have reset the cycle count as well.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I don't think you can reset the cycle count. If you could eBay would be full of used but zero cycle count batteries...

5. GoofyCyborg macrumors member

I purchased an early 2015 13" 2.9 512GB rMBP a month ago from Apple.co.uk and mine had a couple of cycles on the device.

Device was sealed, no signs of use. Didn't think anything of it at the time and I still don't.

Just enjoy your computer.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Macs and other devices do get tested and "burned in" at the factory to help weed out any obvious issues, so yes, 1-2 cycles out of the box is normal. Mine had them too, as did the MacBook Air it replaced.

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I didn't check my battery the day I brought my 2015 13" rMBP home, but when I did check it about a week later I saw that it had 6 cycles. I'd probably done 2 or 3 cycles myself, so I'd say a few cycles on a new battery is pretty normal.

9. r7un thread starter macrumors newbie

r7un

all seems well

i think all is well here.

i had checked the cycle count to be at 3 while draining it after a full charge. then i charged it again, and while charging the cycle count was still 3.

now i am draining it again, and the cycle count is at 4. which means:

Cycle 1: Charge during installation
    Cycle 2: First Drain after purchase and subsequent charging.
    Cycle 3: Second Drain after purchase (I made the first observation at this point)
    Cycle 4: Now, after another subsequent recharge.

this way it fits. so no issues.