Battery Cycles

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by qwerf123, Aug 1, 2011.

1. qwerf123 macrumors regular

I've managed to do 9 cycles in 10 days on my MBA and after reading what some people claim they've done, I think I may have done loads in no time :eek:.

Is the number of cycles I've completed a lot or are some people just not using their MB's :confused:

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's strictly a matter of how you use your Mac. Some work mostly at the desk, plugged into AC power. Some are always on the go, needing to run on battery. Using a cycle per day is not unusual at all. The best recommendation is run on battery when you need to and plug in whenever you can. Just don't run on AC power all the time, as your battery needs to be exercised to stay healthy. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. KPOM macrumors G5

I think Lion might measure cycles more quickly now, too, if you partially discharge the battery. Previously, if you discharged 20% every day, it would take about 5 days to add a new cycle (20% * 5 = 100%). Now, I think it might add a new cycle to meter with less than an equivalent 100% drop. I let mine drain down about 5% each night the first few nights (during deep sleep) and then when it hit 80% remaining in one use (20% discharge), it triggered a new "cycle" in the count meter. It remained fully charged until the next day when I ran it off battery to about 10%, and it triggered the new cycle about when the battery hit 50%.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's still measuring cycles the same way. It's just that your battery indicator is not 100% accurate.

5. qwerf123 thread starter macrumors regular

I know its not good, but for the time I've had it, its been mainly plugged into the mains.
    And I've rarely let it go below 70% on the 3-4 time i've taken it off the mains.

Does the battery still go through cycles when plugged in?

I just wish I could remove the battery like on many PC's and then keep it plugged in!

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

7. qwerf123 thread starter macrumors regular

8. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I have 9 cycles on mine so far, but I have been using it away from my desk.

According to Apple the battery is good for 1000 cycles. I really wouldn't worry about it.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It won't go through a cycle while plugged in, unless you've already drained it and it's recharging. If you leave it plugged in all the time and never drain it, it will never go through a cycle. Read the definition of a cycle in the FAQ.

10. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Confirmed, thats correct information.

The screenshot below proves it since this unit is a month old but its in constant, daily use plugged in. I only use it for a few hours a day unplugged, at most.

Attached Files:

11. qwerf123 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, Seems these Apple folks don't know much about their own products.

Got a new MBA now anyway so I'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice guys

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Remember, "Genius" is only their job title, not an indication of their intelligence, knowledge or experience.

13. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I've been using my 2010 MBA since late april and it's at 99 cycles at the moment

14. Duke15 macrumors 6502

Duke15

15. VXC macrumors member

I got my 2011 MBA 13 on release day and it says I have used 3 cycles. But when I charge it to full, it only shows 98%. It hasnt shown 100% in couple days. Is this normal?

16. scarred macrumors 6502a

I removed coconut battery from my macbook air after using it for 2 days.

I found myself stressing over how and where I was using my new macbook air, all for the sake of 'taking care of the battery'. In the end, I felt it was just not worth the extra stress.

Use your computer how you want it, when you want it, for what you want. Don't worry too much about the battery. That battery faq has good tips. Follow them, and enjoy your purchase.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't. coconutBattery will show you the age of your Mac, but not your battery.

18. nylon macrumors 65816

nylon

I've been using by 2010 Ultimate MBA since Nov 2010.

I am at 232 cycles on the battery and 92% overall health.

19. meaty macrumors member

so is it better to use it plugged in when youre at home?

20. Duke15 macrumors 6502

Duke15

Awesome thanks man

Mine is 21 weeks old, 98% battery, 1 cycle ran, got almost 8 hours battery life on it yesterday no complaints

21. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Unfortunately I think it needs an update. It says the new MacBook Airs are nearly 6 months old.

I've always thought it got the age from the battery, but they say serial number. Something is definitely off, I know these 2011 MacBook Airs where not built in January and February.

22. echo.park macrumors regular

echo.park

This.