battery cycles

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by hayakuu, Dec 14, 2007.

1. hayakuu macrumors newbie

Is it bad if i charge my ipod everyday? Or does that only happen, after every 100% charge cycles?

2. franzmueller macrumors regular

You can charge your ipod everyday , just remember to get a full cycle once a month = do not charge until it shows ( you have less than 5% of battery charge ) type of message in your screen .

Saludos

3. lena macrumors newbie

Can you please explain why?

4. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

lithium ion technology does not require a discharge as stated, as it does not suffer memory effect. Doing this does nothing more than wear on the battery.

li-ion's primary issues are with heat and cell age. Heat decreases the life expectancy of the cells, and cell age determines the maximum charge as the battery ages. charging li-ion batteries from a lower power state introduces more heat than charging from a higher state.

Read your manual, I'm pretty sure I remember apple recommended many smaller discharges vs. one large one. I'll see if I can find the info for you.

5. Merkuryy macrumors regular

Merkuryy

Hmmmmm, I've heard of this "heat" story: on a blog , a tester show charging with 4.3V can do huge damage to the battery ,reducing seriously the ages of the battery.

And also I own a first generation iPod Nano and Video iPod, both manufacted in Nov 2005. Both of them was having "full charge" for every charge, but I can see obviously that both of them have only 80% battery capacity (As AAPL mentioned).So it's really a cell-story

It's the first time I heard "charging li-ion batteries from a lower power state introduces more heat than charging from a higher state". Intersting---------I used to think the voltage keep on 5V

6. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Try a quick Google search, it's the answer to any question.
    And yes, it takes more time and energy to charge a battery that is fully drained than to charge one that is at 70 - 80% charge.

7. legacyb4 macrumors 6502

Wonder when the 3rd party upgrades for the Touch will start to hit the streets?

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau