Battery Cycles :/

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ki2594, May 7, 2008.

1. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

I really don't know if I should worry when my battery cycles go up....its at 27 now. Sorry I don't know about the cycles.

2. EngBrian macrumors regular

Cycles are the number of times that your battery has gone from fully charged to discharged and back to charged (one cycle). You can also have a bunch of partial cycles that add up to a full cycle ie. you discharge to half and recharge and then do it again...that will only count as one cycle.

In the last 10 months I have gone through 80 cycles with no adverse affects to my battery. I would say I am a light user without being plugged in as I am sure there are users with higher cycle counts.

I don't have a reference but I believe apple says that after 300 cycles you should still have 80% of your original battery life.

check out the Coconut battery app (search google) and it will give you how many cycles you have done and a comparison of your current battery health to the original.

cheers

3. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

though in a few years when i have gone through 300+ cycles and my battery charge begins to go down, will just buying a new battery solve the problem?

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Usually, a battery will last you 3 years. And yes, you can just buy a new one.

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Just use Coconut Battery to check on the current stats of your battery. You should also Calibrate your battery at least once a month too to make sure it stays in top shape and for best performance.