Battery damaged or just old?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Diddiyo, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Diddiyo macrumors member

So yesterday I thought I should re-calibrate my macbook (1st gen 2ghz core duo) battery. as the timer went down, at about 50 minutes left the whole thing just turned off. no warning, nothing. couldn't be switched back on either (not connected via powercord). so i left it turned off overnight and plugged in the powercord in the morning. when i came back later that day it was charged (green light) so i turned it on and checked coconut battery:

[​IMG]

the last time i re-calibrated my battery a few weeks ago it was at +80%. Is my battery damaged or just old?

Any help is appreciated :)

2. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Do you have AppleCare?
    I had a MBP that was roughly 18-months old with pretty bad battery performance and took it in the the Apple Store and had them test it out and it was replaced for free. My MBP battery was in better shape than yours, but it was considerably less old.

The genius bar has an interesting tool that plots the battery condition/age on a scale. If it lands in the red section it is considered "not normal" battery behavior, and will probably be replaced.

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

4. Diddiyo thread starter macrumors member

yup I do. gotta try that. thanks!

5. Diddiyo thread starter macrumors member

quick question before I take it to the store:

I upgraded my memory to 2gb and put a bigger hdd in, do I have to put the old stuff back in before I take it over there?

6. Pixellated macrumors 65816

No, unless you are having any other issues than the battery...

7. Diddiyo thread starter macrumors member

8. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Eep... My MacBook is 6 months old and it has almost three quarters as many loadcycles as yours... Although its still on 100% health so thats not so bad.

Still dreading that 300 cycle mark though, even if my battery works perfectly fine up until 299...