Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

_LeaFy_

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
Hello
So something weird happened to my macbook. It didn't charge at 58% then it dropped fast while I was watching netflix and then didn't run without plugged in power. Now it's on 0% and still can't charge.
Fun fact; my one year guarantee expired 2 weeks ago -.-
In system it says replace now battery.
Here are some screens

Attachments

• Battery .jpeg
    Battery .jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 744
  • battery 2.jpeg
    battery 2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 502

Rapp

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
United Kingdom
Still take it in, Apple have been known to honour warranty if its just a short while. Depending what country you're in you can have upto 7 years warranty against defects that cause failure (not natural wear and tare). A battery should last more than a year and 63 cycles.

You never know till you try.

Reactions: BeefCake 15

_LeaFy_

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
I'll try and call an authorized service because in Poland we don't have apple stores.

Peter Abs

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2016
Mine is at 84% at 212 cycles, that still seems pretty bad considering I do my best to look after it. I have apple care though so when it drops below 80% I'll bring it in for a battery replacement. I'd definitely recommend you bring yours in anyway.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Just as an aside, 63 cycles in a year seems very low. Do you often keep the charging cable attached even when the battery is full?

_LeaFy_

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
No I don't. I use it only while I'm travelling so when I need it I just unplug it.

Scott6666

macrumors 65832
Feb 2, 2008
Same happened to me over the last week. Service Battery appeared. Report says I have 4080 mAH. I don't know what I should have. Genius desk ran some diagnostics and said 'Hey your battery needs to be serviced' Duh. Want me to pay $200 to replace. Suggested I call into Apple to see if they would help. First level nope. Second level did a lot more considering but basically said nope, too far out of warranty. I only have 167 cycles showing. Apple phone support tried to tell me that number was not really accurate because if you don't discharge enough or charge the entire way the counter does not increment. Sounds fishy but whatever.

I'm not sure if I should spend the money. I did not purchase applecare on this (only time I haven't). They did say if I had applecare it would only be 90 days out of warranty and he could make a case to pay for the replacement.

Early 2015

_LeaFy_

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
I'll go to the authorized service on monday and let you know what's up.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Same happened to me over the last week. Service Battery appeared. Report says I have 4080 mAH. I don't know what I should have. Genius desk ran some diagnostics and said 'Hey your battery needs to be serviced' Duh. Want me to pay $200 to replace. Suggested I call into Apple to see if they would help. First level nope. Second level did a lot more considering but basically said nope, too far out of warranty. I only have 167 cycles showing. Apple phone support tried to tell me that number was not really accurate because if you don't discharge enough or charge the entire way the counter does not increment. Sounds fishy but whatever.

I'm not sure if I should spend the money. I did not purchase applecare on this (only time I haven't). They did say if I had applecare it would only be 90 days out of warranty and he could make a case to pay for the replacement.

Early 2015
That explanation about incremental charging is also on the Apple battery support page. Stills sucks though.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Lithium ion batteries don't like to kept at 100% charge all the time. It's a guarantee of early death. Their favorite range is between 20-80%. Those the ranges they should be stored at unfortunately Apple doesn't allow you to lock that in like Lenovo does for their Thinkpads that have an always plugged in battery saver mode. Case in point my wife and I have had numerous MacBook and MacBook pro throughout the years and her batteries wear out much faster than mine despite that her MacBook are always plugged in whilst I take mine in the road constantly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coco Nuts

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Lithium ion batteries don't like to kept at 100% charge all the time. It's a guarantee of early death. Their favorite range is between 20-80%. Those the ranges they should be stored at unfortunately Apple doesn't allow you to lock that in like Lenovo does for their Thinkpads that have an always plugged in battery saver mode. Case in point my wife and I have had numerous MacBook and MacBook pro throughout the years and her batteries wear out much faster than mine despite that her MacBook are always plugged in whilst I take mine in the road constantly.
Funny you mention Lenovo, I recently found that battery saver setting on my Yoga 910. Now stays 50 to about 60 percent charged plugged in all the time on my desk.

_LeaFy_

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
This is just insane. Dude didn't even ask me about details just straight up do you have warranty? I said no and asked him how much it would cost to replace it. He said around 700$. So happy with this macbook!

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
This is just insane. Dude didn't even ask me about details just straight up do you have warranty? I said no and asked him how much it would cost to replace it. He said around 700$. So happy with this macbook!
Where did you go? Apple charges $199 for battery replacement on MacBook

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
I'd take it directly to Apple, thanks to Apple gluing the batteries in, the keyboard also needs to be replaced.

objektør

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2014
At home
I'd take it directly to Apple, thanks to Apple gluing the batteries in, the keyboard also needs to be replaced.

??? Is this true: new battery means new keyboard as well?
Where I live there are no Apple stores either and they would charge me about $600 for the battery and the job.
They didn't mention the keyboard at all. Fair to say that I didn't ask because I never thought of that.

_LeaFy_

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
Apple here keeps records of each visit. At least with a genius. Don't think you can go from store to store to get a different answer.
I wrote already that in my country there are no apple stores. I went to authorized resellers

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
The reason why the battery died so early is because of the low cycle count in 1.3 years. Batteries must be used, otherwise health deteriorates really quickly. Also, just because you don't have an Apple Store in your country doesn't mean you can't call AppleCare and ship the computer in for the battery replacement.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
Poland is in the EU so you should have a (limited) 2 year warranty which has to be provided by whoever sold you the MB.

If that doesn't help contact Apple, they will for sure have some option for you.

Heck 700$ would cover a nice round trip to Berlin (my guess at the nearest Apple store) from pretty much anywhere in Poland.

v1597psh

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2014
London
The reason why the battery died so early is because of the low cycle count in 1.3 years. Batteries must be used, otherwise health deteriorates really quickly. Also, just because you don't have an Apple Store in your country doesn't mean you can't call AppleCare and ship the computer in for the battery replacement.
Not necessarily true. I used to own a Late 2012 MacBook Pro 13" and for 4.5 years I only got about 80 cycles as it was sitting on my desk always plugged into my Thunderbolt Display. I tested the battery before selling it and I was still getting around 4-5 hours with battery health showing around 90%. Definitely something wrong with these MacBook batteries.

Buerkletucson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Minnesota

That's not correct.....
I have a 2016 Macbook with only 72 charge cycles and it's battery Health is still at 96%, same as when I purchased it.
See direct from Apple:

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

Store it half-charged when you store it long term.
If you want to store your device long term, two key factors will affect the overall health of your battery: the environmental temperature and the percentage of charge on the battery when it’s powered down for storage. Therefore, we recommend the following:

• Do not fully charge or fully discharge your device’s battery — charge it to around 50%. If you store a device when its battery is fully discharged, the battery could fall into a deep discharge state, which renders it incapable of holding a charge. Conversely, if you store it fully charged for an extended period of time, the battery may lose some capacity, leading to shorter battery life.
  • Power down the device to avoid additional battery use.
  • Place your device in a cool, moisture-free environment that’s less than 90° F (32° C).
  • If you plan to store your device for longer than six months, charge it to 50% every six months.
Depending on how long you store your device, it may be in a low-battery state when you remove it from long-term storage. After it’s removed from storage, it may require 20 minutes of charging with the original adapter before you can use it.
[doublepost=1500905280][/doublepost]Question for the Op.....where did you purchase your Macbook and what was the initial charge when you first fired it up?

I've seen it several times from places like Best Buy.....the units sit around and are completely discharged 0% when you purchase them.....this is a battery killer from the start.
I try to purchase only from Apple as I know I'm getting fresh stock.....the battery should come with about 60 - 70% charge.
If it's close to 0% return it immediately, you will never get a long life from the battery.

Last edited:

_LeaFy_

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
Well I bought it from a company that distribute apple products to Polish market so it was originally packed and never opened but I don't remember the battery charge.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Not necessarily true. I used to own a Late 2012 MacBook Pro 13" and for 4.5 years I only got about 80 cycles as it was sitting on my desk always plugged into my Thunderbolt Display. I tested the battery before selling it and I was still getting around 4-5 hours with battery health showing around 90%. Definitely something wrong with these MacBook batteries.

Thats terrible though. You got 80 cycles at 90% health. The battery is suppose to last 1000 cycles at 80% health. You are at 20% of what you should get on the battery. By not using the battery, you lost 10% health.
[doublepost=1500907826][/doublepost]
That's not correct.....
I have a 2016 Macbook with only 72 charge cycles and it's battery Health is still at 96%, same as when I purchased it.
See direct from Apple:

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

Store it half-charged when you store it long term.
If you want to store your device long term, two key factors will affect the overall health of your battery: the environmental temperature and the percentage of charge on the battery when it’s powered down for storage. Therefore, we recommend the following:

• Do not fully charge or fully discharge your device’s battery — charge it to around 50%. If you store a device when its battery is fully discharged, the battery could fall into a deep discharge state, which renders it incapable of holding a charge. Conversely, if you store it fully charged for an extended period of time, the battery may lose some capacity, leading to shorter battery life.
  • Power down the device to avoid additional battery use.
  • Place your device in a cool, moisture-free environment that’s less than 90° F (32° C).
  • If you plan to store your device for longer than six months, charge it to 50% every six months.
Depending on how long you store your device, it may be in a low-battery state when you remove it from long-term storage. After it’s removed from storage, it may require 20 minutes of charging with the original adapter before you can use it.

Nothing in this post is revenant to what I said. Why are you giving me storing instructions? We are not talking about storing a battery. We are talking about keeping a battery plugged in 24/7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.