Battery Dead After RAM Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Davidish, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Davidish macrumors member

Hey guys,

I have a MacBook Pro 13" (Late 2011).

I installed some new RAM today and now my MacBook has an "x" over the battery icons and reads "Battery Not Available". I tried a restarting, a PRAM reset, and SMC reset. None of it worked.

I used iFixit's instructions and they have you disconnect the battery-logic board connector during the RAM install. I have made sure, SEVERAL times, that the connect is properly secured. Is it possible that I shorted the battery or something during this process? Anyone know of any fixes? Please don't tell me I have to spend monies on a battery change. :(

This is what shows up when I try check the battery status:
    [​IMG]

iStat also shows this:
    [​IMG]

2. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

when u upgrade RAM/HDD to SDD, ofcourse you should UNPLUG battrey power right?
    I mean power internal (after you open case)...
    Please plug your battrey power, open your case (casing) and get it back :D

3. Davidish thread starter macrumors member

I already mentioned it is plugged in.

4. cpidk macrumors newbie

Have you tried to replace to the old RAM again?

5. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

How did you disconnect the battery? Did you use a metal or a plastic tool? A metal tool can easily short the connector, damaging either the battery or the logic board.

You said you have checked that the connector is seated properly, but have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting it?

6. Davidish thread starter macrumors member

Yes I have.

Crap I used a metal tool. :(:(:(

I have reconnected the the connecter several times. No dice. Wouldn't the computer show other symptoms if the logic board was damaged? Should I try replacing the connecter?

7. cpidk macrumors newbie

i hope you find a solution, i have the same issue on my Macbook, by i have no idea how it is happened on my Macbook, i have bougth mine used with the issue hoping that it was a dead battery but it was replaced all ready.

i have the same error in the system report.

if you find the solution please let me know.

btw. does your battery indicator work? mine don't work.

8. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Most likely it's the control circuit on the battery that was damaged, but without a multimeter or another battery to try, it's hard to be absolutely sure. The SMC could have been damaged too, but don't lose your hope just yet.

You can try running Apple Hardware Test, see if it gives you any errors. Try running it both with the battery disconnected and connected.

If you get any error messages, post them here, and we'll try to figure them out.

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Take it in to Apple and have them do a hardware test.

10. Davidish thread starter macrumors member

Yeah this sucks. By battery indicator do you mean the LEDs? They don't light up when I press the but if that's what you're asking.

I ran a Hardware Test before and nothing came up. I'll try it with the battery disconnected-- sounds like a good idea, I'll let you know. :)

I'm planning on doing it when I get home from school. There's no Apple Store near my campus and the Authorized Tech Center here has rude technicians so... lol

11. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

This actually sounds quite promising! If the SMC was damaged, you should have seen an error in AHT. So it sounds more like a battery issue. There is still a slight chance that some passive components on the logic board could be toasted, but the battery controller/safety circuit would be more likely to go.

You could also try leaving the battery disconnected overnight. I don't know specifically what kind of protection the MBP batteries have, but it might actually be a tripped safety circuit either on the battery or on the logic board, that could come alive if you leave it disconnected for a few hours and reset the SMC.

Anyway, disconnect the battery, run AHT, and see what comes up.

12. cpidk macrumors newbie

This solved my problem.

1. unplug the power cord.
    2. open the back side of the Macbook.
    3. disconnect the battery connector.
    4. connect the power cord. (my Macbook started when i connected the power)
    5. close tha Macbook.
    6. Start AHT (Apple Hardware Test) (opition + D at start up)
    7. Run AHT if no errors check that the battery indicator on the side is working.
    8. Close the Macbook, leave the power cord in the Macbook. (light green)
    9. Connect the battery connector.
    10. Check the function of the battery indicator is working.
    11. Start the Macbook check that is has found the battery.(my Macbook found the battery but no charge on the battery.
    12. Restart the Macbook, all worked again.

I am so happy.:)

hope this will work for you.

13. Davidish thread starter macrumors member

Tried an ATH with battery connected. No problems found.
    Tried an ATH with batter not connected. No problems found.

Left battery disconnected overnight. Didn't work. :(

When I do an SMC reset, none of my power settings get reset. Could this mean the SMC is simply not resetting?

Tried that twice. Got really excited because it worked for you and thought it would be for but it didn't. I'm glad it worked for you though! :D

14. cpidk macrumors newbie

Is the battery indicator working with out the battery pluged in? only power cord in the Macbook.?

Also try this:
    I read in another forum that a guy had disconnected the battery indicator the connector next to the battery connector (right side), and started the Macbook again with out the connector in place, all worked fine. with out the battery indicator.

15. Davidish, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013

Davidish thread starter macrumors member

My battery indicator doesn't turn on at all with or without the battery connect plugged in.

Disconnecting the battery indicator sounds interesting! I'll try that and tell you how it goes.

EDIT: It didn't work. Sadness.

16. Davidish thread starter macrumors member

I took it the the Genius Bar.

They figured it was a battery issue but a battery replacement didn't fix it.

Got the logic board replaced and now everything is working fine. Oh, and they also removed my third party RAM because it was apparently causing kernel panics. Yay for a $300 fix and now 16GB of useless RAM.

17. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Really glad you got this sorted. Have you checked and double checked that it was the right RAM? If not, you could at least sell the RAM to someone who could use it...