Battery dead? or maybe worse..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by syn:), Apr 1, 2011.

1. syn:) macrumors newbie

Hello,

To make things short some spilling happened and now MBP (Late 2010) does not boot with battery installed, works fine without when connected to AC power.

When battery is installed and connecting the MagSafe adapter, the LED turns green and goes out straight away, I am thinking this is the built-in protection (since the MagSafe adapter is not working when connecting it to another notebook, but works fine after 60 sec rest).

So I am wondering what my next step would be, getting a new battery? or could the problem be located in the logic board, where there is some short circuit? Maybe other tips?

This is my order, and no I don't need a drink with my new thread.. I think my MBP had enough ;) Thanks in advance.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can try resetting the SMC and troubleshooting the MagSafe adapter. Instructions for both are in the link below. However, with a spill, all bets are off. It's very difficult to determine what damage, if any, has been done by the spill, or what components may need to be repaired/replaced. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

hmm, thats a tricky one. The only surefire way to test it would be to to connect a different battery and see if it works, obviously this could damage the working battery should it be a logic board fault. the same is true of you try your battery in a different machine and its a battery related issue, it could damage the logic board on the other machine..

4. syn:) thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but I've already tried the available troubleshooting for SMC and MagSafe. Without any luck, but can anyone confirm the built-in protection in the MagSafe adapter? I've read about ground noise, although I don't think that's the issue here, but rather over-voltage which could be caused by short circuit?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What "built-in protection" are you talking about?

6. syn:) thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the heads-up, but no more tearing down for me... damn unearthly screws, had to bring out the power tools :)

7. syn:) thread starter macrumors newbie

The one stated under 'Identify line noise issues.' in the troubleshooting of the MagSafe adapters (http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1713)

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you tried using a different power outlet? And have you tried using a surge protector?

9. syn:) thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I tried multiple MagSafe adapters, same story. LED goes off straight away and adapter needs the 60 sec rest before being operational again... What about the internal layout, when the battery is installed it's charged over the logicboard? So there could be something wrong in the controller of the battery (which can be reset by the SMC?)

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you've already reset the SMC and tried various MagSafe adapters, that only leaves a defective or damaged battery or logic board. Take it to Apple and let them check it out.

11. syn:) thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I tried resetting the SMC, but since the MagSafe protection kicks in my guess is that it is not possible to reset. No response what so ever...

Thank you, but here we only got Authorized Service Providers and Resellers that need a deposit before even looking at it. Might go for an cheap used battery on ebay or something.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I personally would never trust or recommend a battery that didn't come from Apple, based on the number of complaints I've read about 3rd party batteries. YMMV.

13. syn:) thread starter macrumors newbie

Noted :)