Battery defective?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HoldFastHope, Nov 4, 2008.

1. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

Hey guys, my iPhone's battery seems to be getting worse.

When I first got it I'd charge it once per day. Yesterday it was fully charged at 12pm. After making two calls, sending a couple emails and uploading a pic to Facebook it was dead by 7:30 pm. Lately I'm finding I need to keep it docked during the day and then charge overnight to keep it from dying.

Is it worth getting a genius to check it out, or is this just typical usage time?

2. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

That doesn't sound typical to me, I'd have a genius look at it.

I don't use my phone much but I use it more than that and I still have 1/2 charge when I plug it in at night.

3. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

It depends. Do you have Push enabled? 3G on?

4. HoldFastHope thread starter macrumors 6502

3G yes. Push no.

Should be said though that since Optus sucks so badly I'm rarely on a 3G network anyway.

5. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

You might want to try a hard reset first and see if that works. Then try a restore if that doesn't work. The Genius will ask if you tried these things before giving you a replacement. But it does sound like you've either got a defective battery or a serious power reporting issue with your software.

Good luck!

6. flabombero macrumors member

I was having the same issues with my iphone and when i took it to the genius, he told me that 4 hours of usage is normal for the battery. I just don't believe this at all and tried to argue with him but told me to restore, which i just did about 2 weeks ago. I'll try again with another genius in a couple weeks cuz it drives me nuts to make a few calls and have to charge after.

7. daisuke07 macrumors regular

when there's no school I charge my iPhone 2-3 times. When there is school I charge it once because I don't use it much during school

8. macplace10 macrumors newbie

The battery in my iPhone kept going flat after it had been switched off for a few days, circumstances dictate that the iPhone has to be off.
    I took my iPhone into an Apple Store Genius Bar explained the situation and they exchanged it for a refurbished iPhone without any problems.
    Perhaps you should take your iPhone into an Apple store again and tell them that you think the battery is faulty.

9. HoldFastHope thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks all, I've done a hard reset and it seems to be ok now but I'll monitor it over the next week and go see a genius if it gets worse.

Great timing too, I just put a slight scratch in the side of it with my keys the other day :cool:

10. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Have you tried completely draining the battery to zero and charging it up full OVERNIGHT from the wall charger? If you've never done this, you should try it. The battery doesn't come calibrated correctly when you first get the iPhone... running it down until your iPhone shuts itself off and then charging it to 100% and leaving it at 100% for a few hours really helps.

11. HoldFastHope thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Spaz, I actually lost my wall charger a while back so I've been using the dock and USB connections. I'll have to borrow someone's and give it a a try.