Battery degrading too quickly in 2017 rMB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by astro01, Sep 13, 2018.

1. astro01 macrumors newbie

I bought a 2017 retina Macbook this past June, from the refurb store. It is the i7/16gb Ram/512 gb SSD model. I installed Coconut battery to monitor the state of my battery shortly after buying it.

At 5 charging cycles, my battery capacity was rated at 97%. Now my macbook is up to 35 charging cycles, and Coconut Battery says the charge capacity is 94%. This to me seems low for so few charging cycles. I know Apple says batteries need replacement when they are below 80% capacity, and if my battery continues to degrade at this rate I will reach that threshold in less than a year. Is this normal?

I allowed the battery to go to 0% charge twice in the first couple of days, followed by charging it to 100% charge so that the internal charge monitor could be calibrated. Since then, I have recharged the battery fully whenever the charge gets to about 65%.

Am I doing something wrong or is it normal for battery capacity to already be at 94%?

2. chabig macrumors 603

You cannot predict how the battery will age by extrapolating. Your battery is most likely normal.

3. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

4. astro01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies.

I am now at 45 cycles and battery is at 93% according to Coconut battery. Still seemed low, so I checked the graphs on Coconut Battery Online:

https://www.coconut-flavour.com/ccbonline/index.php?bid=ac57cf4f4e4c1a1f1835ea8b8ea641df

Seems to be a little bit below average compared to similar 2017 Macbooks, but not too much. I will keep checking my battery health, and I am seriously considering getting Applecare before my 1 year warranty expires, since the cost is about the same as an out-of-warranty battery replacement from Apple.

5. fokmik macrumors 68040

We have 2 Mb 2017 and the coconut battery very often is not accurate
    After 2 months of use and around 60 cycles that app reported 91% and 93% , i went to the apple service, and with their proper tools, that battery life was at 99% and 100%

6. astro01 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's very reassuring! Thanks

7. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

DEFINITELY get AppleCare on a MacBook. It's worth the £220. These a beautiful machines BUT can cost A LOT of money to repair if something goes wrong. The warranty is great piece of mind!

8. squadus macrumors newbie

I would just keep using it until it has problems and interrupts your work. Then I would take it into an Apple store for a closer look.

9. astro01 thread starter macrumors newbie

I went ahead and got the applecare for the peace of mind. Besides the battery, I see on the forums that people have had other issues with things like the motherboard dying. I need my macbook to work for the next three years as I just started grad school, and I can't afford to buy a new one during that time!

10. FilmIndustryGuy macrumors regular

Macbook 2017
    313 cycles
    88%

it was at 87% for at least 60 cycles then went up to 88%

I bought applecare+ so before it expiers in 1.5 years ill get apple to swap battery along with all internals since its all molded onto the same bottom plate and ill basically have a new macbook. Apple recently replaced the screen and top case. screen wobbled a bit and keyboard had sticky keys. so they have me all new aluminum since i kinda scrtched it by not using a case. I'm a no case guy and travel with this thing all over the usa. Apple care worth it. This is my favorite apple product.