Battery depletion on brand new MBA

benblanchard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
I have a brand new MBA 2012 running Mountain Lion.

I have recently installed the 10.8.1 update that claims to solve battery issues.

Sometime the battery seems to deplete incredibly quickly, whereas others it seems to be about right.

I recently charged the MBA up fully. When I turned on, the battery indicator showed 100% with 8:53 remaining.
The battery then depleted to 85% under light use from Chrome and the Twitter app. At 85% it showed 3:07 hours remaining.

Now obviously something is up, so I checked activity monitor but there's nothing using a high % of my CPU.

So does anyone have any idea what's up with my battery?!

Would appreciate some help.

Thanks,

Ben

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
For images wider than 800 pixel, please use the TIMG tags instead of the IMG tags by just adding a T in front of the [IMG] and closing [/IMG] tag, like [img] and [/img] to prevent horizontal scrolling.
You can use the
to edit your images and add the Ts.

Also know, that the battery time is dependent on current CPU use and screen brightness.
  • BATTERY INFORMATION
  • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
  • AC POWER
  • CALIBRATION
  • BATTERY LIFESPAN
  • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
  • CHARGING
  • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
  • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
  • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
My first thought is Chrome = Adobe Flash = battery drain.

It would definitely explain your 85% but only 3 hours remaining paradox.

benblanchard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
I enabled the ClickToPlay feature in chrome so flash doesn't run until I click on the object wanting to run flash. I've also installed an AdBlock extension.

It's just a little confusing!

Wowzera

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Brazil
I enabled the ClickToPlay feature in chrome so flash doesn't run until I click on the object wanting to run flash. I've also installed an AdBlock extension.

It's just a little confusing!
I have a macbook air mid2012 without flash installed and running mountain lion 10.8.1 and still have a battery life a lot worst than Lion.

Mine shows now 4:50 at 100% and running only Microsoft Word and Safari. Mail in the background. Notification Center disabled.

Roman2K~

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
Now obviously something is up, so I checked activity monitor but there's nothing using a high % of my CPU.

You need to list "All processes", not just "My processes". All = user + system. If you see "mds" and "mdworker", those are Spotlight indexing your disk (temporary).

Statelymwhite

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2011
I was feeling the same way until I realized Bluetooth was on unnecessarily. I also tend to keep my brightness on the high side, though perhaps I should change that when running on battery.

benblanchard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Yup. Battery is definitely worse for me on ML. At most I get around 4.5 hours.
This is my first Mac Portable so I wouldn't know how battery life differs with ML, but I was a little bit surprised at how low it got.

----------

I was feeling the same way until I realized Bluetooth was on unnecessarily. I also tend to keep my brightness on the high side, though perhaps I should change that when running on battery.
I turned Bluetooth off almost as soon as I first turned on the machine, so it can't have had an effect really.

Biscotti

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
I got around 6:30 - 7 hours on Lion. I could go pretty much all day w/o charging… and now I'm getting around 5 hours of battery life IF I am lucky. Screen set to 4-5, and safari and word and excel use and mail.

This is just ridiculous. My battery health is also at 92% after 10 months and 153 cycles…

This is a problem. Just TEEEWWAAABBBLLEEEE.