battery design capacity

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kinsella81, Oct 10, 2015.

1. kinsella81 macrumors newbie

Hello,

Just got this and love it so far but I have a question. According to coconut battery the design capacity is 98.5 percent. Shouldn't it be 100 or a little over for a new machine? My previous MacBooks always had over capacity when I first purchased them. The cycle count is 2 and the battery age is 85 days. I am just wondering if I should be worried about this considering how much I paid for it. Thanks!

2. bizzle macrumors 6502a

3. BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

That was the very same thing that bothered me.

4. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

first: batteries aren't all equal. There are variations in production tolerances.
    second: the value measured by this kind of app aren't so precise. A 1-2% difference is normal.
    third: a new battery needs a few cycles to "stabilize".

To sum it up, enjoy your notebook .

5. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Completely normal. I don't have the new MacBook but I do have two MBPs and the 2015 has 99% capacity and the 2012 has 98.6%, both have 6 cycles. Neither one has started out at 100%. I bought both this summer.

6. bizzle macrumors 6502a

I think you should immediately return it and demand financial compensation for receiving a clearly defective product.

7. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Forgot the /s .... Knowing the user you wrote to, he's going to return it.

8. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I think the battery maker's and Apple's Quality Control would account for that couple of cycles and the slight deviation from 100% capacity?

9. kinsella81 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone. I was just wondering if it's normal or something I should be worried about. The battery is now at 95% with only 4 cycles. I'm gonna leave it charged for a few days and see if that makes a difference. I just don't want to find down the road that it's a faulty battery.

10. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

In any case, if your battery does degrade below 80% design capacity, I believe Apple will replace that for you within Warranty or AC+, whichever is valid at that time. I can't find a link to confirm that at this point.

11. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Here's a brilliant idea.

STOP WORRYING ABOUT IT.

12. kinsella81 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know know, you're right. I haven't been able to sleep all weekend because of this and I haven't had much of an appetite either. Your words of encouragement to not worry has changed that and I thank you very much for this very brilliant idea.

13. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

Try cycling t a bit more. You'll lose more before it plateaus at around 90%.