battery design capacity

kinsella81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2014
Hello,

Just got this and love it so far but I have a question. According to coconut battery the design capacity is 98.5 percent. Shouldn't it be 100 or a little over for a new machine? My previous MacBooks always had over capacity when I first purchased them. The cycle count is 2 and the battery age is 85 days. I am just wondering if I should be worried about this considering how much I paid for it. Thanks!

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
Hello,

Just got this and love it so far but I have a question. According to coconut battery the design capacity is 98.5 percent. Shouldn't it be 100 or a little over for a new machine? My previous MacBooks always had over capacity when I first purchased them. The cycle count is 2 and the battery age is 85 days. I am just wondering if I should be worried about this considering how much I paid for it. Thanks!
That was the very same thing that bothered me.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Hello,

first: batteries aren't all equal. There are variations in production tolerances.
second: the value measured by this kind of app aren't so precise. A 1-2% difference is normal.
third: a new battery needs a few cycles to "stabilize".

To sum it up, enjoy your notebook .

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Hello,

Completely normal. I don't have the new MacBook but I do have two MBPs and the 2015 has 99% capacity and the 2012 has 98.6%, both have 6 cycles. Neither one has started out at 100%. I bought both this summer.

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
I think the battery maker's and Apple's Quality Control would account for that couple of cycles and the slight deviation from 100% capacity?

kinsella81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2014
I think the battery maker's and Apple's Quality Control would account for that couple of cycles and the slight deviation from 100% capacity?
Thanks everyone. I was just wondering if it's normal or something I should be worried about. The battery is now at 95% with only 4 cycles. I'm gonna leave it charged for a few days and see if that makes a difference. I just don't want to find down the road that it's a faulty battery.

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
Thanks everyone. I was just wondering if it's normal or something I should be worried about. The battery is now at 95% with only 4 cycles. I'm gonna leave it charged for a few days and see if that makes a difference. I just don't want to find down the road that it's a faulty battery.
In any case, if your battery does degrade below 80% design capacity, I believe Apple will replace that for you within Warranty or AC+, whichever is valid at that time. I can't find a link to confirm that at this point.

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Here's a brilliant idea.

STOP WORRYING ABOUT IT.

kinsella81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2014
Here's a brilliant idea.

STOP WORRYING ABOUT IT.
I know know, you're right. I haven't been able to sleep all weekend because of this and I haven't had much of an appetite either. Your words of encouragement to not worry has changed that and I thank you very much for this very brilliant idea.

Cvx5832

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2014
Hello,

Try cycling t a bit more. You'll lose more before it plateaus at around 90%.

Reactions: kinsella81
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.