Battery died during update - computer wont start!

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by 123Hello, Oct 3, 2015.

1. 123Hello macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I just tried updating to El Capitan. However, my battery has died during the installation process. I was warned to plug my charger in before updating, which I had planned to do, but I got distracted and completely forgot about it. Now, whenever I turn my MacBook on, I can login, but I soon get an error page and my computer turns off.

Is there any way I can continue the installation process? I am really concerned as I have a lot of important files which I fear are now lost. I went to Disk Utility and tried repairing the disk permissions, but this didn't do anything. If my only option is to reinstall the OS, is there any way I can move my files to a hard drive?

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro, which is out of warranty. I can see Apple has a paid helpline - is this worth it, or are they just going to tell me to reinstall it?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

2. Tamagotchi macrumors 6502

Tamagotchi

I believe there is a recovery mode (I seem to remember it was pressing cmd+R while booting). Maybe in that menu there is an option to repair, or update or something (I don't know for sure as I've deleted my recovery partition, and always use a USB installer - I don't know if the menus are the same).

Does anyone know if the recovery partition can help him?

PS: I would avoid testing things out in the recovery partition until someone can provide a clear answer.

EDIT: Btw @123Hello, check this out too: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6872776

3. mikzn macrumors 6502

mikzn

If you have another mac you could try "target disk mode" to recover / copy / back up your files first. Hopefully you can recover your files and then do a clean install.

4. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Some days it is best not to play with power tools.
    You can hurt yourself.

5. 123Hello thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I was wondering, I was to reinstall OS X in the recovery thing, will that just install a new copy of OS X, or will it delete all my files too?

6. dannyabrams macrumors newbie

dannyabrams

What did you end up doing, I am having the same problem. Please help!

7. Fried Chicken macrumors 6502

Fried Chicken

8. Autistic Behaviour macrumors member

Autistic Behaviour

in recovery hd, you have a few options: 1-reinstall OS (that will keep all your files)
    2-erase disk and install OS
    3-restore from back up
    option no1 for you
    Or, like someone mentionned, "target disk mode", if you have access to another mac

9. 123Hello thread starter macrumors newbie

I just reinstalled the OS in Recovery, and it worked fine. All my files were still there once finished.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18872?locale=en_US

10. BigFatThumb macrumors newbie

BigFatThumb

Hello Everyone,

Firstly, thank you everyone for posting this thread. I had the same exact problem and now it's solved.
    Just want to add a small additional details here; In case any of you experiencing same situation.
    When I realized that my computer shuts down, I turned it back on and only grey screen pops up with apple logo and download bar showing 3/4 full. No apple start up sound...nothing. Bar also not showing any progress. Tried shutting down again few times and same results.
    Then I came across this thread then I tried doing : https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904 and it worked out !!
    But note this :
    1. Even if your macbook didn't make the classic apple start up sound, go ahead press the Command + R button immediately after letting go of Power button, and keep pressing it until the apple logo shows up. Then keep pressing for another 5 second
    2. Wait. do not power down again if it's taking a while to display any prompt window. Some case might take longer then the other. My recovery menu shows after about 10 minute; I was about to gave up when it finally shows up.
    3. Choose Reinstall OS X or use any other option as needed.

I hope this small tips helps...
    Now I'm glad I don't have to take my macbook to a repair center, Thanks to you guys.
    Stay cool ! CHEERS !