Battery dies around 50 percent

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steiney, Oct 10, 2010.

1. steiney macrumors 6502

Hello All,

The battery on my MBP (2007 2.33 Core 2 Duo) has started to die, just like the three others that came before it. It seems like it's only been a year or so since I got a new battery. Yesterday, I was using it unplugged and the computer shut off when the battery was around 58%. I have never seen a battery shut off that early. The worst I had seen before that was a previous battery that would die around 35%.

A couple questions:

1. Is there something I am doing that is causing my batteries to keep dying so quickly? An Apple Genius told me that keeping the computer plugged in all the time can burn out the battery. I don't really want to bother putting the computer through unnecessary charge cycles to keep up the battery life.

2. Is there any way to recoup some of the lost battery life of my current battery, or is it just dead?

3. In replacing the battery, should I buy another Apple battery from the website, or are there better quality 3rd party MBP batteries?

4. On a side bar, I am thinking about purchasing a new MBP, but I am worried that the battery will have the same problem, and it will be much more of a hassle to fix because everything is internal now. I hate having to hand my computer over to Apple Care for a whole day and be without it. Thoughts?

If anyone has any thoughts or answers to the above, I would greatly appreciate hearing them.

Thanks in advance!

steiney

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
    If you haven't properly calibrated your battery, the 58% reading is quite likely inaccurate.
    See the link above.
    There is no way to restore health to a dying battery.
    I would never trust a battery that didn't come from Apple.
    Chances are very high that the problem is the way you treated your battery. It's not a problem with the MBP.

3. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey GGJStudios,

Thanks for the helpful reply!

In reference to how I treat the battery, that is what has me frustrated. This problem with the battery keeps happening. I don't think I treat the battery poorly. My MBP is usually running and plugged in all the time. I usually put it to sleep by closing the lid when I go to sleep, however, unless it is downloading something.

I've heard of putting it through power cycles every so often, to keep the battery healthy, but that seems like a hassle. Is that a way to keep the battery healthy?

Is there a resource you would recommend for learning how to properly calibrate the battery? Also, I though I did this when I got my current battery.

Thanks again!

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Please read the link I posted. It contains answers to all your questions.

5. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, my apologies. I started reading it after posting my reply. I get a little trigger happy with the replies because you and Hellhammer are so attentive the the forum and respond so quickly, it almost feels like an IM chat!

On the link you provided, it says that the battery I have is supposed to retain 80% of its original capacity after 300 full charge/discharge cycles. I'm at 128 cycles and 35% health. Maybe that's an inaccurate health reading based on poor battery calibration, but it seems like a defective battery. Or maybe it is because I never unplug the MBP and let it run down to 50%, like I should do every 2 to 3 days, according to your link.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

After you calibrate properly, you'll know if the reading is accurate or not.

7. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

I did the original calibration last November when I got the current battery, but not since then.

Is it too late to try calibrating the battery, or is it still worth it? I don't think that was covered in the link you provided.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it is covered. Read the section on calibration.