Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Espo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
NY
Hey guys,

I have a iPhone 3G and usually every night I plug in my phone to charge until morning. Recently I've been experiencing an issue, where i fall asleep during a phone call and keep the phone plugged in, I will wake up with no battery. The phone would show a red battery, but the battery on the top right shows that it is fully charged. Genius bar can't do anything for me because I'm out of warranty. Any help is appreciated.

Jenkins12

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
You fall asleep during phone calls?? :confused: Anyway, your battery should show a small plug on it when its plugged in, if it doesn't then something is wrong, on top of the fact that it shows a full battery when it's dead. First I would consider a restore, and if that doesn't work then maybe look into a new battery.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
The genius should have told you that you could get a replacement battery for ~$85 in the U.S. If a DFU mode restore doesn't work (I suspect it won't), then do this. However, make sure your USB cable works.

Espo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
NY
The genius should have told you that you could get a replacement battery for ~$85 in the U.S. If a DFU mode restore doesn't work (I suspect it won't), then do this. However, make sure your USB cable works.

Apple Care and the genius store told me that I would have to pay $199 for a new phone, and I wasn't able to have a battery replacement. (possibly because im out of warranty)

I did a DFU mode restore, it happens only when im on a phone call.

Espo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
NY
So I tried my charger from my 1st gen iPhone and the issue has gone away. It is possible that the usb was damaged. Thanks for the help and advice guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.