Battery dies overnight (at 50%)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajgrant, Dec 21, 2015.

1. ajgrant macrumors member

Last night when I went to bed, my iPhone 5S battery was at about 50%. I didn't put it on the charger. When I woke up, the battery was dead, and when I put it on the charger, it charged like it was fully dead, starting at 0%.

I've never had this happen with this iPhone before, and I've had it a few weeks shy of two years.. Something similar happened on my old iPhone 4.

However, does this suggest that there is a battery issue with my iPhone or that the battery is deteriorating? Why would this happen?

Thanks.

2. JackieInCo, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015

JackieInCo macrumors 601

It could mean that the battery is starting to fail. I've too have had mine for two years now but I don't have any problems with the battery. Right now, I don't have an activated sim in it so it's lasting me well over two days on a charge.

Also, if you have a Mac, install Coconut battery on it. Connect your 5S and open Coconut battery on the Mac. Click on iOS Device at the top and it will tell you the battery capacity and how many cycles are on the device. If the battery capacity is low, it's likely the battery is bad.

Mine has 272 cycles with 87.65 capacity left, far from bad.

3. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

You can sometimes have an errant app go stupid on you and drain your battery. Usually a restart fixes that. Long as it is not happening all the time you are probably good.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

I agree with the above and you need to see if it was a running app that did it by seeing if it will happen again. You can also check your battery with the above mentioned app or take it in to an Apple store and they will do it for free. The cost of a new battery is small compared to the cost of a new phone.

5. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

it could be a battery issue or an app in background going bad....