Battery discharging quickly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WickedPuddin, Jul 18, 2015.

1. WickedPuddin macrumors member

Hi, I have a Macbook Pro 13in early 2011 model. For a couple months my battery life had been very bad, around 2 hours of normal usage. I decided to get a new battery for the laptop (cost me $130 at the apple store). I anticipated new battery life performance but when I got the laptop back, it was at 50% with only estimated 2 hours left. Is it suppose to be this low? Coconut battery says that the battery has 0 cycles (duh) and the discharge rate is 13.2 watts. The only thing high on energy usage is safari right now as I type this forum post.

2. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

New batteries come partially charged to minimize wear and maximize shelf life.

3. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

Just charge it full and it should be good. Programs that estimate how much battery time is left have never been that accurate in my experience, you could do normal browsing and it will say 6 hours but then you look at it when you happen to watch a youtube video and its down to 4. Anyway, just charge it up full and see if its any better :)

4. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

If you truly have JUST had the battery replaced and not even Charged/Discharged it at all (let alone a few cycles) I would say "Giddy Up and USE it!!" _ and then get back to us here in a few weeks..

There is always a chance that something may be wrong with a new battery, but now will not be the time for that to be seen _ Good Luck, but I doubt you will need any!! ;)

5. showardcooper macrumors newbie

showardcooper

6. showardcooper macrumors newbie

showardcooper

7. showardcooper macrumors newbie

showardcooper

I have the same model and same issue. I replaced the battery about six months ago and all seemed good. Now, the battery discharges at almost a percent a minute. Checking the system info says that battery life is good. I suspect that there is a short somewhere but don't really want to invest a bunch of money on 2011 laptop. Anyway to determine a short from home???

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Open up activity monitor and find the process that is using the most CPU. That's most likely what is causing your higher than normal battery drain.

9. showardcooper macrumors newbie

showardcooper

Thanks for the post. Checked the Activity monitor and nothing really going on there. Even leaving the laptop at 100% over night finds it at about 15% the next morning.

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Was the replacement battery from Apple?

11. showardcooper macrumors newbie

showardcooper

No, it was from OWC. It seemed OK for a few months and and the system report says that the battery is normal.

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

To be honest, I don't trust any 3rd party batteries. I suppose OWC probably makes some of the better ones, but it sounds like the battery you have may be bad.