Battery Discharging Very Quickly After SSD Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VwTdi09, Feb 3, 2013.

1. VwTdi09 macrumors newbie

Last night I replaced my stock HDD with a 512 GB Samsung 840 Pro. Before I started started removing any of the internal screws, I disconnected the battery from the motherboard. I put everything back together and booted up. Before I did the drive swap, I had the laptop on the charger and the OS was reporting that it was fully charged.

When I pressed the power button the first time after the upgrade (charger was not plugged in) I got the start up chime but nothing else happened. The screen didn't turn on, the front LED stayed dark. So I pressed the power butting again and this time everything booted up. When Mountain Lion loaded it said that my clock had been reset (presumably from disconnecting the battery). Oh, I should note that I cloned my stock HDD to the new SSD through Disk Utility run from the Recovery Partition.

I started playing around to see what kind of performance increases I got when I noticed that my battery was discharging rapidly (about 1% every 30-45 seconds). At that point, I found the keystroke combination to reset the SMC, figuring that it got messed up after I disconnected the battery.

With the laptop off and plugged in, I pressed the left Shift+Option+Command and the Power button (I think those are the correct keys, I can't remember exactly what they were. I followed the Apple KB article on it). I held the keys until I saw the LED on my MagSafe connected go from orange to green back to orange. I released the keys and booted up again.

The battery discharge rate seems to have slowed but still seems too fast. I checked System Report and it says the battery is in good condition.

Anyone have a similar experience or have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

2. natesymer macrumors newbie

Try making sure your battery connector is plugged in properly.

3. iVikD macrumors regular

iVikD

Every time I've disconnected my battery, the same thing happens on startup: first time pressing power it chimes, then goes off, second time everything boots. I think that might be normal behavior, maybe the comp checking if everything is alright, although I could be wrong.
    I also replaced my HDD with an SSD, and my DVD drive with an HDD, but haven't noticed an increased discharge rate; quite the opposite actually, it's been lasting longer for some reason.

4. Jeffhurd macrumors newbie

That is weird, SSDs are much more power efficient then HDDs. I swapped out my stock 750gb 5400rpm drive for an intel 240gb 335 and gained about 30 minutes on battery power. I would suggest letting your battery run completely dead before charging it again.

5. Modernape macrumors regular

spotlight will be indexing the new drive, which takes quite a bit of processor power - open up activity monitor to take a look. when it's finished, see if the battery holds charge better.