Battery discharging while plugged in. Both under heavy load and sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vmachiel, Jul 6, 2013.

1. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Hi Forum,

I have a macbook as discribed in my sig. Today, I started out with a full charge and it was plugged in. It first discharged while I was gaming, and recharged when I stopped. Later, I put the macbook to sleep, kept it plugged in and came back to find the battery at 50%.

What could be causing this and what should I do?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Discharging during gaming is normal as for not charging did you try unplugging the charger and plugging it back in?

3. vmachiel thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah I did. But it's just weird to me that a fully charged laptop in sleep mode, loses half its charge

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You should check Activity Monitor to see if you have a process that is preventing sleep and is draining system resources. Also, make sure there are no problems with your MagSafe adapter or its connection to your Mac. As for the battery draining while gaming, it's normal for your MBP to draw power from both AC and battery during periods of extreme demand, such as gaming or other multimedia operations. This can cause your battery to stop charging or even drain, even though it's plugged in. Read the AC POWER section of the following link.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

5. vmachiel thread starter macrumors 68000

Awesome, thank you I'll check it out