Battery doesn't last long on 3GS with iOS4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sirolway, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Sirolway macrumors 6502

I upgraded to iOS 4 last week & now my battery life is about 1/2 what it used to be.
    It used to comfortably last a day, now it last about 1/2 that - I definitely have to charge it while at work each day.

Anyone else found this?
    I'm hoping some solution can be found & slipped into an update - this handset is only a year old, so the OS upgrade should not have quite such a dreadful impact ..

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I've noticed worse battery life with the 3GS as well. It's much better with the iPhone 4 though.

Maybe we should avoid upgrading to a new OS whenever it's released around the same time as a new iPhone. They're not going to care much about performance on obsolete devices.

3. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Weird, mine has actually improved.

I was on 3.1.2. And lately battery has been terrible so I had concerns about upgrading to iOS4. However now my phone is great

Did you upgrade or restore and setup as new phone??? For sone reason restoring and setting up new phone always gains best results for me

4. ianray macrumors 6502

I saw poor battery life on the final iOS 4 beta, so decided to do a clean install of the official release. All I can say is that battery life returned to 'normal'.

Some other people have reported that running your battery down to zero, and fully charging it afterwards, helps too.

The most drastic option would be to restore the software, and make a clean install. Hopefully you do not need to do that :)

5. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

Battery life on my 3GS seems marginally shorter since the iOS4 upgrade, but it is certainly not all that noticeable - I still charge it once each day and find that it's down a few % more than I had previously experienced with it.

6. Mpaige2 macrumors member

Same here! I noticed that my battery life have improved also:D noticed it the 1st day

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I see better battery life on my 3GS on 4. It's something I noticed after the first day of upgrade.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Based on the responses in this thread, I'd do a clean install if I had a 3GS.