Battery Drain 4.3 iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JakRox, Mar 11, 2011.

1. JakRox, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011

JakRox macrumors member

Am I the only one suffering a bad battery drain on the iPad after installing the new 4.3 update? (I see similar complaints on phones) I do not have push notifications on and mail is manual. I used to get great battery life, but in standby, battery is draining on it's own.

Last night used it to watch Netflix on lowest light setting. In one hour, battery drained 25%. That never happened before. Watching video usually only used 10% or less an hour on minimum screen brightness.

This morning after sitting in standby for 6 hours, it had dropped another 5%. I do not remember that ever being an issue with iPad.

I've done a hard rest twice.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Also, never jailbroken the iPad

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's a fairly long thread in the iPhone forum about folks noticing some significant battery issues. I just applied 4.3 so its too early for me to see any battery problems.

3. JakRox thread starter macrumors member

I would like to know if you find you experience the same issues on your iPad when you've used it a bit. Appreciate the response.

4. RichyB macrumors regular

Maybe a recalibration of the battery will sort it out, that's what I did last upgrade.

5. JulianL macrumors 65816

I upgraded mine yesterday and ran it down to 19% before I put it on the charger overnight. I seemed to get about the same level of usage as I usually do so mine seems about the same so far.

On the iPhone thread one person said he seemed to be getting GPS getting left on all the time with 4.3 (little arrow always displayed in the status bar). That would drain the battery badly. My iPad is WiFi-only so it doesn't have GPS. I wonder if the issue is in this area.

I hope it is something simple that Apple will fix or give a workaround. It looks as if I might have dodged a bullet with my iPad upgrade but I'm not letting 4.3 anywhere near my iPhone 4 right now.

- Julian

6. gameface macrumors 6502

Takes longer to get to a full charge and seems to die much faster on both my ipad wifi and iphone 3gs.

7. JakRox thread starter macrumors member

I have mine plugged in now, and I'm not noticing the longer charge time...but I'm not sure how much I ever really paid attention to that before.

I know with new IOS upgrades there is a tendency to "play" with your gadget more because of the new features. I can say, that isn't the case in this instance. This update didn't have any play features for me, so regular usage for me.

8. gameface macrumors 6502

ipad was at 19% battery when I plugged it in to update. Update ran and 4 hours later ipad was only at 54%. Haven't charged it again yet. Maybe it was just being weird. Caveat is normally I charge it from the wall and this time I charged it form my Mac Pro which I know takes longer but never quite this long.

9. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

I haven't noticed any detrimental effects on battery life since 4.3 update. If anything, it's seemed like the battery has lasted longer, ending the day with more battery left than usual, though that could just be that I've had a couple of days of light use...

For what it's worth, I did do a recalibration just after the update. I ran the battery down to about 4% then recharged it completely.

10. tkadrum macrumors member

Is there any way I could revert to earlier 4.2.1?
    My battery is suffering with the new 4.3.
    Before the upgrade...I could watch 2 movies and only 25%, but now my battery meter reads 39%.

Something is not right here.

11. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Connected with "home sharing"? Might check...

12. KaPOWitsCHRIS macrumors 6502

KaPOWitsCHRIS

Yeah my iPhone 4 is suffering from it. It lost 8% on airplane mode in the space of 8 hours with all apps closed.

13. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Something isn't right with my 3GS on 4.3. I sold my iPad so I can't help there.

14. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

Weird mine runns just fine. Try to retart it.

15. JakRox thread starter macrumors member

I've reset twice. Same results. Going to deplete battery and try that.

16. hopeman macrumors newbie

My battery drains faster, too on my original iPad after upgrading to 4.3. Hope this will get sorted out.

17. connoisseur macrumors member

;)

18. Land Shark macrumors newbie

possible fix to battery drain

Someone has reported the battery drain comes down to a single setting: Ping in iTunes. If you disable that, battery life should be back to normal.

Turn off Ping in:

Settings > General > Restrictions

I can't verify it myself because bring myself to upgrade to 4.3. I live for the long battery life. Let us know if it works for you.

19. gameface macrumors 6502

Just restricted Ping on my 3gs and ipad so we'll see. Funny I never would have looked in there as I don't have any restrictions currently set and disabled ping in itunes. Hope it helps.

Thanks!

20. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

My ipad2 does much better than my original iPad and it charges very quickly.
    You might want to get yours looked at.