Battery Drain after restart

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Darthxbox, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Darthxbox, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015

Darthxbox macrumors newbie

Hello community!

I recently wiped my Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite setup off my MacBook Pro 15" Mid 2010, because of major wifi connectivity issues.

Now I was ready to go to give rEFInd and triple booting a shot. I partitioned my HD into three partitions: 1x Mac OS X Mavericks, 1x Windows 8.1 and 1x Ubuntu 14.04 TLS

Since OS X is my main working space, I discovered battery life wasn't performing very well. With Yosemite the battery lasted for at least 6 hours and under Mavericks its just 3,5 hours max.

I already had installed Mavericks when it came out and battery life was comparable to Yosemite back then. So Mavericks can't be the culprit.

May rEFInd be the cause? Is it even possible?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can't see how it would be. Isn't rEFInd just a tiny app that allows you to select what OS to boot up from. After it boots up, its no longer active.

3. Darthxbox thread starter macrumors newbie

I think you are correct. After completely wiping off OS X and reEFInd again, I discoverd something odd. If I reset my SMC and NVRAM on startup the estimated battery life is about 7 hours or so, but after a restart without resetting these two it would only last for 3,5 hours.

Could this be a hardware problem?