Battery drain after upgrading to iPhone X

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MJ22, Mar 7, 2018.

1. MJ22 macrumors regular

Has anyone else upgraded their phone and experienced battery drain? Does it get better?

My watch is series 3 with LTE. I started with an iPhone 7 Plus, this week upgraded to iPhone X. Last night my battery drained over 50% when I went on a 3 mile run using GPS (no music, did not use texts or calling or anything else on the run). This was more than it typically drains on a typical 10 mile run!

At the time I went running, my phone was still at home downloading all of my backed-up stuff from the cloud, if that matters.

The battery is still draining fairly quickly today though I haven’t yet used the workout app or GPS. Help!

2. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

So do you usually run WITH your iPhone and this time you ran WITHOUT it?

Have you tried a restart of both since you installed and paired to your X? Ofter it is good to do a restart of both AFTER they are all up and running.

3. MJ22 thread starter macrumors regular

No, I never run with my phone. It was at home but completing the installation of the backup.

I’ve turned both off and on, and unpaired and repaired them.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Were you running the same route? Is it possible there was interference with the GPS signaling?

5. MJ22 thread starter macrumors regular

It’s a route I run often, probably a few days a week. There’s zero reason something should cause my battery to drain over 40% on a 26 minute run using no features other than GPS. Do better, Apple.

I’m heading out soon for a slightly longer run and hoping things improve.

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If there was temporary natural interference, (whether on Earth or space) that could cause the GPS to use a lot of battery trying to find position and map in real time.

7. MJ22 thread starter macrumors regular

Improvement today. Started a 4 mile (~34 minutes) run at 55%, ended at 29%. Still worse than before iPhone X but better than yesterday. Hopefully it’s just the two adjusting?

8. Ashton Cofer macrumors member

Your battery is expected to drain quickly for the first few days when you first setup your phone (due to many setting up tasks in the background). When I originally got my iPhone X then I had the same issue. I'd give it a week or so and if the problem persists then maybe take it in to Apple.

9. wesley96 macrumors 6502

wesley96

The way I read it is that her Apple Watch is draining battery faster than usual after pairing it with a new iPhone X, which may or may not be unusual. I personally didn't notice that kind of drain after getting my iPhone X and getting it paired with my existing Apple Watch.

10. MJ22 thread starter macrumors regular

11. wesley96 macrumors 6502

wesley96

Oops! Gotcha. :)