Battery drain and Windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by entatlrg, Oct 9, 2009.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I've noticed the Battery on my 13" MBP drains much faster when using Windows in VMfusion, makes sense running two OS's.

Question:
    If I installed Windows via Bootcamp instead of VM would my battery last 'much' longer? I'm only running one OS so it should.

What's the best way to run Windows so I can get the most from the battery, is there any way to get the battery to last as long in Windows as it does in Mac ...

Running OS X goes an incredibly long time compared to Windows.

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Not entirely. Windows power management is not as good as OS X's variants on these systems. You'll probably be looking at maybe 60% of the battery life in Windows vs OS X. However, with more advanced and optimized drivers, it seems (at least for me) that battery life seems to be better.

I get 1.5-2 Hours in Windows 7 Ultimate under gaming. 2.5 Hours with regular use. In OS X, when gaming (CoD4 for Mac), I get about the same 1.5-2 Hours but I get close to 4-4.5 Hours with regular usage. Not sure why this is, seems that Windows just keeps the entire system at a higher power usage when OS X lets the hardware power down during regulars.

3. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Do you do all that on your MacBook Air? If so, doesn't it get real hot with fans at full speed? Your in Bootcamp obviously?