Battery drain (bad signal?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Loves2spoon, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Hi, just moved to a new area and there are a lot of hills and tree's here. I get 1-2 bars of 3G.

When you have a weak signal does your phones battery drain faster? When I was back at my old home I always had 5 bars and better life.

2. Loves2spoon thread starter macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

3. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Yes if there is a bad signal you're phone will increase it's power to the antenna to compensate. Why do you think Airplane mode was originally made?

4. Jason black macrumors regular

Thats not why airplane mode was made genius...

5. libertysat macrumors regular

My work has me in remote areas
    Wheni had a droidi had to keep a charger in dash as the battery got sucked dry

My iphone sucks battery faster than in town. But nothing like droid

6. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Yup, I lose battery much faster on my college campus than i do at my home.

7. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Per Wikipedia: One feature that Airplane mode can be noted for is its power saving abilities, Because the device has no connectivity to a mobile network, it has no reason to search continuously for reception and so the battery last longer.

8. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I travel to/through areas with bad signal quite frequently and yes the battery drains very fast. If I'm away from power then I'll turn 3G, wifi, notifications, location services off. I never use BT. I'll sometimes turn off cellular data too if I'm very low on battery or I'm not using the phone for anything other than calls/SMS.

9. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

Airplane more was design so the phone didn't interfere with the plane and still use the phone features. I've been a pilot for over a decade :rolleyes:

10. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Yes I've edited my original reply. BTW I've yet to see an airplane brought down due to someone not turning off their cell phones.:rolleyes:

11. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

It won't bring down a plane, but believe me it messes with the equipment.

ETA: not a airline pilot so I doubt a cell phone would affect major Jet liners... but small planes are affected..