Battery drain during sleep

Discussion in 'iPad' started by redryder, Mar 31, 2012.

1. redryder macrumors member

Hi,

My new Ipad 4G battery drains about 10% while sleeping overnight.

Location services is turned OFF, mobile data OFF, Mail fetch and push OFF, Fetch set to Manually, Icloud Inactive, the only thing that is on is WIFI.

Just on a test, if I turn on Airplane mode and turned off WIFI, it only drained 1% overnight.

Why does WIFI take up battery life during sleep if almost everything has been turned off?

2. KPOM macrumors G5

How strong is your Wi-Fi signal? There have been some reports of issues with Wi-Fi on some new iPads. Mine usually drops 1% overnight regardless of whether Wi-Fi is on or off.

3. jw6961 macrumors regular

jw6961

I usually get about a 1% drop overnight as well. Sometimes it doesn't drop at all.

4. turbotoes macrumors regular

Same for me, more often than not it does not drop.
    Mine is a wifi model though, does the LTE version drop as much if you turn off the LTE overnight?

5. Sir David macrumors newbie

I have the same issue with my iPad 4G but also with my iPhone 4S. When wifi is activated my iPad lose about 5-8% of its battery power while sleeping, my iPhone even more (10%).

6. A2DY macrumors member

My iPad looses anywhere from 0%-3% overnight with everything (location, wifi, 3g) left on.

I was quite surprised how little it uses.

7. Tom G., Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012

Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

When you are asleep at night why not turn the iPad completely off? You are not going to use it, and if you have it on charge, then it will get a better charge as it cannot lose any charge through the items listed in the above posts.

If you wake up in the middle of the night and feel that you have to use it for some reason, then you are not getting the rest you need, and you are not recharging yourself!

Use the Home and Sleep/Wake buttons to shut it off. No loss of charge and you are properly charged

P.S. I do not follow my own advice and wake up and just have to check on something!

8. Cha macrumors regular

A few things to possibly take note of:
    1) Is your iTunes enabled to "Wifi sync" with the ipad and is your itunes opened as night?
    2) Do your wifi signal drop when you use your ipad normally? I wonder if the ipad is somehow dropping and reconnecting during the night time.
    3) Do you have a number of push enabled applications like magazines in Newsstand?

I find my percentage to decrease a bit at night as well, but usually I have the iPad recharging at night so I am not bothered by it.