Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wakinghour

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Now that apple shows battery usage by app, we can finally pinpoint what is causing battery drain and not just base it on a guess.

I noticed that my iPad Air 2 on iOS 8.1.2 was draining faster than I would expect for an iPad. It's so subtle that it would take a lot of testing to confirm it in the past but now that we have real data we know.

Problem:
It turns out that, in fact, 63% of my battery was being used by the mail app background activity for weeks. My settings were:

Mail > Data Update > Push ON
iCloud (mail sync is off) Push ON
5 mail accounts MANUAL

Solution:
I turned off push and the problem went away.

Questions:
Why would push affect mail, when all my mail were pop 3 accounts that had been set to manual and don't even support push?

What does Push ON mean exactly, when every email/icloud account has it's own separate option? What overrides what? I never found this clear since the first iPod Touch.

Hope this helps anyone who might not even realize they have the problem.

Last edited:

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
To fix this problem, you could also try to delete and insert again the accounts. Push should not be responsible for battery drain.

jahall05

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2013
I have 2 emails set up. One Outlook account and my school email (it is another Outlook account...365).

I have push turned on. I checked my usage and it shows mail only using 1% of battery.

Interesting that yours is using so much. I wonder what the difference is.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
6 Plus and Air 2 here. I have 8 accounts (1 iCloud, 1 Outlook, 6 Gmails). The iCloud and Outlook are set to Push, the Gmail accounts are on Fetch Every 15 Minutes on both devices. Mail on my iPhone accounted for 3% of my battery usage, while Mail on my iPad accounted for 5%.

Weird that yours ran away like that. I recommend deleting your accounts and setting them back up.

Jeff R

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2014
I have 2 iCloud emails set up and push on. No effect on battery.
Maybe it's because I don't get too much email.

I keep my Gmail & especially Yahoo away from all my devices. Too much spam.

I don't even check my Hotmail anymore lol!

Slowly migrating all my emails & contacts to iCloud. I've had Yahoo since the 80's but their email just doesn't cut it in todays standards.

Out with the old & in with the new.

wakinghour

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
I agree with iamMacPerson and UltraAleM. This is definitely a bug and probably not a Push related issue.

I do recommend you guys check if email is hogging your battery though as I didn't realize it for a while.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I have 2 emails set up. One Outlook account and my school email (it is another Outlook account...365).

I have push turned on. I checked my usage and it shows mail only using 1% of battery.

Interesting that yours is using so much. I wonder what the difference is.

I have push enabled and the mail app was taking about 5%. Wonder what was causing the spike.

Agree, my work phone has Outlook configured for push and it gets great battery life. Fetch, on the other hand...:(...I keep turned off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.