Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Ive had my MBA for several months now - its always been fine - spot on, and Ive been very happy with it.

However, today I experienced an issue, which I hope is a one off!

My laptop had around 35% battery life remaining.

The system was used to browse the net and check my email. All applications were then closed and I then closed the lid to put the system to sleep.

When I went to use the system a few hours later, I noticed the system was very hot to the touch. The battery was also completely dead.

Nothing running in the background at all. What could have caused this??

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
Ive had my MBA for several months now - its always been fine - spot on, and Ive been very happy with it.

However, today I experienced an issue, which I hope is a one off!

My laptop had around 35% battery life remaining.

The system was used to browse the net and check my email. All applications were then closed and I then closed the lid to put the system to sleep.

When I went to use the system a few hours later, I noticed the system was very hot to the touch. The battery was also completely dead.

Nothing running in the background at all. What could have caused this??

Something prevented the computer from going into sleep mode.
Maybe an update, or a "not responding" app. I usually need to force quit mail, because it never shuts down properly.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Something prevented the computer from going into sleep mode.
Maybe an update, or a "not responding" app. I usually need to force quit mail, because it never shuts down properly.

Strange. Will keep an eye on it and see if it happens again.....

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Ive had this issue more frequently - nothing at all is running. All apps closed before the lid is closed to put the machine to sleep.

A while later I go back to the laptop and its warm/hot to the touch, and my battery has halved!

Nothing is running when I open the lid?

Not sure whats going on?!

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Ive had this issue more frequently - nothing at all is running. All apps closed before the lid is closed to put the machine to sleep.

A while later I go back to the laptop and its warm/hot to the touch, and my battery has halved!

have you installed something like nosleep or caffeine?
since this appears to be happening to you only periodically could it be a big update or time-machine backup waking it up?

if none of this rings a bell do the following:

Click the apple Logo > hold down option > System Information... > Hardware > Power

Post what you see.

----------

and also make sure your power slider in prefs isn't set to never sleep or something crazy like that. although there again i doubt that's it since you only report this happening occasionally.

Database

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2009
I've had this issue a few times lately as well.

Although I haven't seen it yet since I installed the 10.9.3 update. I just installed that a couple days ago though.

rafithegreat

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2013
I have experienced this for a while now, going back a couple of months. It happened on and off to start with - I would go to sleep, wake up in the morning only to find the MBA was either dead, or hot and with a drained battery.

I tried many things suggested online (apparently, it's an issue quite a few Mac owners are experiencing) - from resetting the SMC, via many terminal commands to alter the sleeping and hibernating mechanism. It has worked on occasion, but eventually it would come back after a while to haunt me.

My most recent solution is a little app called "PleaseSleep", which monitors requests of the machine to sleep or wake, keeps a log, and basically forces the machine to sleep when the Energy Saver preference kicks in and the timer basically tells the Mac it's time to sleep. I've only had it running a couple of days now, but so far so good - give it a try! :)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Like you said, looks like something is preventing sleep. Try the steps in this Apple support document. Also, try the tips in this article, particularly that assertions command toward the lower part of the page.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Just updated to the new SMC firmware update 2.0 - hopefully that will fix it......!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.