Battery drain in sleep with Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eric8199, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

So I've noticed since I installed Snow Leopard on my 15" Late November Unibody MacBook Pro, that I get a lot more battery drain when in sleep. Before Snow Leopard, I could shut the lid and leave my computer unplugged, and it wouldn't lose a percentage point in the batter life after a day. Now, if close it at 100%, and leave it sit for the day, it will be down to like 50% in 24 hours, without any use, and without opening it.

During use, battery life is similar to what it used to be, although not as good since Snow Leopard. Is there anything I can check, maybe a setting, that could be causing this? Could this be due to that whole thing where you can wake the laptop over wifi? Maybe the wifi stays connected now when it's in sleep? Any suggestions on how to get it to stop it would be great. The nice thing about my MBP is that I can be using it on the couch, unplugged, close the lid and set it down, and not have to seek out a charger to keep it powered up. If it's going to lose battery that fast in sleep, I might as well never put it to sleep, or not even have a laptop to begin with, if I have to keep plugging it in.

Anyone else having this problem? Any help?

Thanks in advance.

2. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

I have the same problem.

I'll shut the lid and come back later to find my battery drained as if i was using my laptop the whole time. I think sometimes my laptop won't go to sleep properly or something comes sometimes its fine.

Let us know if you find a solution.

3. saunderscc macrumors newbie

I have had the exact same problem since installing Snow Leopard.

Sometimes it's so bad my macbook has gone into emergency shutdown.

4. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Whoa...that sucks :(
    I would like to know more about this ;D

5. Eric8199 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've noticed from doing some searches that this seems to be a semi-common problem on the unibody MBPs. However, my problem did not start until I installed Snow Leopard. I never had any trouble prior to that. At work we have several PowerBook G4s and one MacBook Pro (original model I believe) and we've never had any trouble with those...But they're all on Tiger.

6. Eric8199 thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. Greenman85 macrumors regular

Using it on my SL. Works great.

8. lucasc896 macrumors member

I've had the same problem ever since upgrading to snow leopard. I'll wake up in the morning and my laptop will have drained it's entire battery. Mine is a 2.2GHz SR late 2007 model.

Has anyone got any more information on this?

9. dnguyen macrumors regular

Looking for more information on this subject too please

10. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

Battery Drain

I'm trying an experiment. I too have a significant battery drain while in sleep mode. So I'm trying the put harddrive to sleep when possible option which I had unchecked. Maybe, for that reason, the harddrive was draining the battery even while sleeping. We'll see.

11. rangfu macrumors newbie

Same problem

I have the same problem - after upgrading to Snow Leopard my battery seems to run down quite quickly when the machine is sleeping. I really don't want to have to do a full re-install, it would take me ages to get everything set up again. Hope someone finds a solution...

12. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I can't comment on others experiences but in case some of you aren't clear, for the MacBook Pro's while your computer is asleep, it's still on and battery will continue to discharge, approx. 1-2 percent every 30 or 60 minutes (I say this because it differs on different machines).