Battery Drain: Late 2008 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tyndale13, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Tyndale13 macrumors newbie

When I close the lid on my MacBook Pro (Late 2008), the battery drains almost completely over a night or so! Very odd. Anyone else dealing with this? Any fixes? I reset the PRAM already.

2. lovetheduns macrumors regular

Same here

Hi Tyndale13-- my early 2009 15inch is doing the exact same thing. At first I thought-- well maybe I just did not pay attention to what the battery was at the night before, but now it is getting a little weird. I have not had this issue with my plain ole white macbook.

Anyone else?

3. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

Interesting. When you close the lid does the 'sleep' indicator do the normal slow pulse from on to off until it runs out of battery?

Neil

4. Tyndale13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it is.

I just checked and the sleep pulse (the small white light) goes bright then fades, then repeats. It's annoying and I've found since I bought this machine that, if left unplugged, the battery will drain to almost nothing over night (for example), but only down to about 1 minute remaining. When I do open the lid, the machine will slowly come back to life...there is a status bar that fills from left to right, and then the battery meter reads "1 minute remaining" or something like that.

Thanks for any advice.

5. duyvan82 macrumors member

@Tyndale: I would suggest you take it in for an inspection as soon as you can, the battery shouldn't drain by itself with the computer sleeping. I use to leave my early 2008 MBP sleep overnight and I never had my battery drained afterward.

6. tivoboy macrumors 68030

sleep

sleep continues to be an issue for some macs.

My sept 2008 MBP, goes to sleep and loses about 8-10% overnight, about 10-12 hours.

7. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

I would take the MBP into the nearest Apple store and have it checked out.

I would think that it is either the battery or the system. If you have a friend that has this model and you could swap batteries and see if the problem follows the battery or remains with the system unit. Other then that, take it to Apple and request help with the problem.

Neil

8. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

The same thing happened to me when I got my MacBook Pro (last week in fact), but after a couple cycles and 2 calibrations my battery does pretty well. I did 2 tests and it only lost about 1% per hour, which is fairly acceptable, even though my White MacBook would loose like 1% per day :(

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I actually had something similar to that happen to me, b/c I thought I had turned off my MBP 2.5GHz, when in fact it went to sleep mode. A couple of hours later I pulled my MBP out of its sleeve and it was warm to the touch and the sleep mode light was flashing, and battery was about 1/4 below a full charge. This is the second time that I've had this happen. Maybe an extra step to make sure my MBP is actually turned off, can keep this from happening...:eek:

10. Atomicfission92 macrumors regular

My was sleeping when I left it for the night with the lid closed. Just went to use it and it was at 0% battery. I put it away with about 79% last night. Something is not right with the batteries on these new MBP. Slow charging, short battery life, battery draining over night..... Apple should address these issues.

11. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

Hi,

From the beginning I should say I am NOT happy with the battery life on my brand new MacBook Pro 15", so that may color my comments:

I have noticed, using CoconotBattery, that the Max Charge is only 4'422mAh, which compared to the original 4'600mAh is worrying. I have only had the laptop for a week now, and the battery has only been through 8 cycles, and is still 96% healthy (from iStat Pro). I have also noticed it drains approximately 1% per hour when sleeping :confused:

Is this all normal behavior, or should I take it into Apple?

KB

12. eldy macrumors 6502

One percent per hour drain during sleep is normal for the UMBPs.

Your battery capacity of 4.4 Ah after eight cycles is not. Mine is 4.9 Ah with 7 cycles and a family member's is also 4.9 Ah with over 40 cycles.

13. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Im clapping for this guy. He has 10-12 hours for his overnight, i wish i had that kinda time for sleeping.

14. iphonematt Guest

Your battery is completely within spec. Batteries full charge capacity will vary, mine goes anywhere from 5100-5450 all the time. 8 cycles in a week? If you keep that rate up you will go through your battery in no time though. Other than that your battery is perfectly fine.

15. RKpro macrumors 6502

I recommended the Deep Sleep widget. http://deepsleep.free.fr/

Sleeping will always drain you battery because parts of the computer (RAM, and maybe more) are still ON. This widget dumps your memory to your hard disk, and turns OFF completely, and wakes up reasonably quickly.

16. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

The number of cycles (9 in a week now), I think is only normal. I use it until it runs dry, and then I plug it in. That's why you buy a laptop, right?

As for the capacity, it changes. I let it run completely dry, waited fir a few hours, and then recharged it fully. The max capacity changed to 4'651 mAh, but now that is running low again, that has changed as well. What gives...

KB

17. eldy macrumors 6502

18. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

Typically about 3 hours to charge to 100%, and then app. 4 hours of usage - depends on what I have been doing, but with normal usage; Safari, Entourage, perhaps Skype, and Photoshop.

I talked to the shop where I purchased it, and they want the MBP for three days to test the battery, before they are willing to replace the battery. Of course I am not happy with this, and will call Apple directly when I have the time.

KB

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I just got my replacement 15" uMBP and the battery doesn't drain anywhere close to what my first one did.

20. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

To "darngooddesign",

Did you just call up AppleCare, and they sent you a new one, or did you have to "prove" to them there was an issue?

KB

21. eldy macrumors 6502

Usage time is normal at four hours. Don't worry about what indicated battery capacity is.

22. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

...and is everyone happy with this? I mean; Apple states on the internet site that the 15" MacBook Pro has "...to 5 hrs wireless productivity". Has anyone ever reached that magic 5 hours, and what is their definition of "Wireless productivity".

Running the MBP on a full battery, in a standard configuration, nothing but Safari, I should have these fabled 5 hours of productivity. I DO NOT! In my last cycle, all I was using which was not what I would classify as "wireless productivity", was Photoshop, and during this next cycle I will try not to use it.

I have never had the battery meter tell me 5:00 remaining, but perhaps anyone else have???

KB

23. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

I managed to get 4:30 out of my 2007 Macbook Pro when I forgot its charger, so im dam sure its possible with these new ones!

24. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

I believe the batteries in the previous MacBook Pro were actually bigger than the ones we find in the new ones (Alu Unibody), and perhaps you got close, but that's still at least 10% of the mark.

Right now I am at 43%, which supposedly translates to 1:47hr. That's only 4:08hr (extrapolated to 100%).

KB

25. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Couple days ago I had mine tell me over 5 hours, and in the end it even did last over 5 hours.