Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nikita Zelenyuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2019
Im playing games through bootcamp (WOW/SKYRIM) and Mac is always plugged in, but battery draining too fast.
For example I played Wow foк 3-4hrs and battery discharged from 100% to 0%.
Is this normal?

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
I don't know if that's normal, but it's normal to drain the battery some if you're pushing it hard. If you have the scree on bright, using high graphics settings, that might explain it. Something to keep an eye on. You can install software to monitor how much power you're using.

(There was a case here recently where someone accidentally used the wrong charger and lost power faster than expected.)

Nikita Zelenyuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2019
Sounds like wrong charger and/or cable. What are you using exactly?
Original charger from the box. Well the game is on high settings, but not full on brightness.
Still a little bit disappointed, because you need to wait every 4 hours

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
The power supply on the Mac is only 97W which is the limit for USB-C. On a gaming laptop they are often 230W or more. So I am not surprised that battery drains under hours of gaming.

If gaming is the primary use for the machine, you might want to consider a gaming laptop instead of a business laptop like a MacBook Pro.

One other thing to verify is that you are using the original USB-C cable that came with the system. It is certified for 100W. USB-C cables that are not certified for 100W will limit the power from the charger to 60W. This is a "feature" of USB-C cables.

Reactions: Nikita Zelenyuk

am2am

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
4h battery drain from 100 to 0 while connected to charger is wrong. Either you have machine with defect or other factor. Are you sure your charger/cables were connected? correct cables?
I can see MBP 16 taking battery down in 4 hours without charger, but when connected it would have to use constant approx 130-140W which is not possible - max I've seen was around 100-105W.

Reactions: Nikita Zelenyuk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.