Battery Drain on iPhone 4/4S and iOS6 -- STILL THERE?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Sounds Good, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Hi guys,

I held off on upgrading my iPhone 4 and my wife's iPhone 4S to iOS6 because we wanted to keep the Google Maps app -- but now that the Google Maps app is available we're both interested in iOS6.

HOWEVER... when looking into it I discovered that LOTS of folks have a serious battery drain issue after updating their iPhone 4 or 4S to iOS6.

Is the problem still there? Or has it been fixed?

Thanks! :)

2. Jjluv86 macrumors newbie

To me the drain is still there. I've done every suggestion to help battery drain and even on standby it drains. It's horrible. I'm thinking its the ios 6 itself. My brother has the iphone 5 and he has the same problem

3. SONiC5 macrumors regular

Not for me, I had that problem with my 4S when I first updated to iOS 6 but it went away after a couple of charges.

4. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I use the iPhone 5 on 6.0.1 and am happy with a full days use.

My usage I would say is moderate.

5. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

This is why I hesitate to upgrade. If I end up having the battery problem it's a pretty big deal to me... and there's no fix for it.

6. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Stopped using the 4s when iOS 6 (and the 5) came out. I used it for about a week with iOS 6 before my 5 came. Now, I didn't see any difference. The reason I wanted to try it out was b/c it was going to my wife and I wanted to make sure there were no big issues.

Once in her hands though...her battery life doesn't match mine. I wouldn't say it's bad but it's not what mine was on that phone with iOS 6. Part of it is that I can't get her to turn off Bluetooth. Ever. She likes to be able to hop in her car and press Play and have Pandora start jamming. Can't blame her, it is cool... but all of that comes at a cost and in this case it's battery life.

Honestly OP, I wouldn't be horribly concerned with it. Some people have reported BETTER battery life on the 4s after iOS 6. Also, I think if there was some widespread, horrible battery issue with iOS 6 and the iphone 4/4s we would know about it on the forums. A few isolated issues on the forus could be anything... stuck backup, stuck contact, ever-running app... who knows.

7. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

I have an iPhone 4S

I've used it with iOS 5.0, 5.0.1, 5.1, 5.1.1, 6.0, and 6.0.1 - I've never once noticed ANY "battery drain issue".

8. Malindascott macrumors newbie

I have the 4 on iOS 6. I generally can get through the day on a charge of I'm only texting and using the phone. If I play games or watch videos or a lot of surfing the web it will need to be charged through the day. My phone is also more than 2 years old, so I have to take that into account.

9. whyrichard macrumors 68000

I have a 4S and just upgraded to ios 6 and I have the battery drain issue.
    I have tried turning off all icloud items, deleting and redoing my gmail account, still there. I was fully charged at 7:30 am, and four hours later with very light usage i am at 50%.

I go into diagnostics and usage and I see a lot of "low memory...." and it seems that every app I run is noted here as having low memory. what gives?

Should i go through the extreme time suck of starting from scratch?

r.

10. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000