Battery drain on iPhone 5S iOS 8.1

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Simos-805, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Simos-805 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have an iPhone 5S running iOS 8.1, but I have very fast battery drain. I have background apps turned off, most of notifications completely turned off, spotlight suggestions turned off, handoff turned and suggested apps turned off and frequent locations turned off! But my iPhone lasts only 3-4 hours of simple use like Facebook, listening my music library or chatting on iMessage. Here is my screenshot of battery usage, it says only 5 hours used (and the iPhone has plugged in since the last full charge) and my battery is 16%!!! Is it normal?? I have give it on apple service and they replace my device two times but the problem is still there. I have do many times restore and setup as new without restore from backup. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415288633.510930.jpg

2. I7guy macrumors G5

The culprit might be Facebook as its a notorious battery hog. Try turning off background settings, notifications and the like.

3. Simos-805 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have turned off the notifications and the background app refresh of facebook, I just using the app for a while and the I'm closing the app from the app switcher and the battery is draining all the time.

4. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

Facebook is a huge hog. Also, closing apps in the app switcher can actually hurt battery life. This may seem like reverse logic but instead of just unfreezing the app, iOS needs to completely re-open it when it needs to run. I never close any of my apps through my app switcher and I routinely get 6.5-7 hours of usage time on 8.1 on my 5s.

5. Simos-805 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know that, I'm closing only facebook and shazam because these apps may working in the background. And the exactly same use I'm doing everyday but only the last two weeks I have the problem with my battery again.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

5 hours of usage with 18% remaining doesn't seem all that strange/bad. It's not great, but on average it doesn't seem bad either. A lot of it depends on your signal too and the places you go.

7. Simos-805 thread starter macrumors newbie

Battery drain on iPhone 5S iOS 8.1

If you see, my iPhone was plugged in since the last full charge. So if I did not replugged in my iPhone, the battery with the same usage lasts 3-4 hours!

8. Ripcrod macrumors regular

In my 5s, the battery was very average in iOS 7 (all versions)

I upgraded to iOS 8.0.2 and the battery life became better. same kind of usage (LTE, SMS (iMessage), Whatsapp, Twitter, Safari etc)

I upgraded to iOS 8.1 the battery life came down very low. I gave it a week and the battery life is acceptable now after "reset network settings"

The only difference I notice in my case is while doing iOS 8.0.2 i did a full restore to factory settings and upgraded via iTunes and not OTA

9. Simos-805 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes me too, I'v done full restore from iTunes many times without restoring backup! And I give my device to the local authorized service by Apple and they replaced my device three times! Maybe the problem is with my iCloud account.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

In that case that screenshot doesn't say much really. Have you tried restarting the phone and making sure no apps are tuning in the background?

----------

Sounds like there's something else going on as multiple phones with brand new restores wouldn't just have an issue like that... Just too unlikely.

11. spector macrumors newbie

(Not trying to hijack your thread or anything just telling my scenario)
    I have the same exact problem after i upgraded to ios 8.1, my phone is shutting off after 5 hours of mostly standby/lockscreen... With ios 8.0 and previous i would get well into the next day and i am assuming that yours was the same also?

My guess is that it is a bug in the 8.1 that for some reason latches onto certain phones and not others for some reason or another... If the battery was draining quick before an upgrade i would lean towards an app issue but its not...

I am still trying to rectify the problem as going to the apple store here soon.

12. Simos-805 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have no other apps running and I have done restart and hard reset many times.

----------

Exactly! With iOS 8.0 I haven't problem! After iOS 8.0.2 and later the problem starts. But I tried to restore my device back to iOS 8.0 and the problem was still there.

13. freemannnn macrumors member

Me too. After update to 8.1 phone loosing battery without reason. Tried restore as new and same problem exists in my iphone 5.