Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applyr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Quick update on the matter:

It seems like the culprit was the Facebook app after all. On a full recharge, as soon as I noticed the usage time being the same with the standby (meaning the bug was occurring), I deleted the app and without even rebooting my iPhone, the usage time stopped counting in the time that the phone was actually on standby.

So then, I rebooted the phone and installed the FB app afresh. Usage battery time was normal for about two weeks until yesterday when the same thing happened again. I woke up and the usage time was counting more than 10 hours (lol). Deleted the FB app again and things were back to normal.

I don't think I'll reinstall FB for the time being but I'm curious to find out why is this happening in the first place? I mean I had FB installed on all my iPhones since forever and this is the 1st time I'm experiencing something like this. Also, why isn't this affecting everyone? I bet the FB app is installed on millions of iPhones and no one is noticing this besides me and a few others?

rdunlap

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2013

It seems like the culprit was the Facebook app after all. On a full recharge, as soon as I noticed the usage time being the same with the standby (meaning the bug was occurring), I deleted the app and without even rebooting my iPhone, the usage time stopped counting in the time that the phone was actually on standby.

So then, I rebooted the phone and installed the FB app afresh. Usage battery time was normal for about two weeks until yesterday when the same thing happened again. I woke up and the usage time was counting more than 10 hours (lol). Deleted the FB app again and things were back to normal.

I don't think I'll reinstall FB for the time being but I'm curious to find out why is this happening in the first place? I mean I had FB installed on all my iPhones since forever and this is the 1st time I'm experiencing something like this. Also, why isn't this affecting everyone? I bet the FB app is installed on millions of iPhones and no one is noticing this besides me and a few others?

I'm surprised there are more third party Facebook options out there. I also have found that Facebook is a huge battery drain. I may start using it in Safari from now on.

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom

Fb doesn't cause any battery drain issues on my iPhone but you can log in using the browser and replace the app with a browser shortcut to your fb instead

applyr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Fb doesn't cause any battery drain issues on my iPhone but you can log in using the browser and replace the app with a browser shortcut to your fb instead
That's what I did for now.

Like I said, I'm more interested in knowing what is causing the FB app to drain the battery while in standby in the first place. It's a fact that this doesn't happen to everyone obviously and didn't happen for me in the past. It's also bizarre that after re-installing it, the problem didn't re-occur until after 2 weeks or so.

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
That's what I did for now.

Like I said, I'm more interested in knowing what is causing the FB app to drain the battery while in standby in the first place. It's a fact that this doesn't happen to everyone obviously and didn't happen for me in the past. It's also bizarre that after re-installing it, the problem didn't re-occur until after 2 weeks or so.

A couple of things you could try to prevent the problem reoccurring (now you know which app is the culprit).

Close the fb app in the app switcher every couple of days at least, at times when you think you won't use the app again for hours. Example, a good time to do this would be if leaving your phone on standby over night.

Log out of the fb app and back in again once a week. This clears most of the excess data that accumulates on the fb app. Have you ever noticed how the fb app size grows quite big over time? When you log your account out of the app it clears most of this excess storage space the app uses on your phone.

The above are 2 examples of what I do and I have no issues with battery drain from the app.

Cheers

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2015
Is there any harm in keeping the iPhone connected to charger or USB port of computer throughout the day even after the battery has reached 100% and using it while remaining connected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.