Battery Drain/Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by robd54, Jul 14, 2010.

1. robd54 macrumors member

I got my iP4 on launch day and although I have the death grip signal loss and occasional data drops, it's been great. The battery was also much better at the beginning. However, the past 2 nights (traveling for work) I've set the alarm and put it on the nightstand with between 40-55% remaining. Wake up in the morning (late) and it's completely dead/off. This doesn't seem right! I shut wifi off, and just let it sit. I've gone to bed around 12am each night. So in 7 hrs it goes from ~50% to completely dead? Looks like I'll be hitting the Genius Bar when I get back on Friday. Has anyone seen anything like this?

2. player2 macrumors member

I had noticed something similiar.

I have my phone at work where it sits on my desk all day. i get basically no reception and it drops like 40% during the day.

Should that happen?

Did not seem to with my 3G.

Any thoughts

3. Reef555 macrumors member

Everyone help!

Well I had the 3G before the 4 and so I'm not used to the % indicator.
    So I'm constantly watching how every few min of use the battery drops 1%, and it's kinda driving me crazy.

I've read a lot of battery posts and it seems if your batter drops crazy fast, you probably have a bad battery. But it's hard to tell. People's bench marks are kinda crazy. Ie why not:

"From full charge, i left it idle/locked with wifi/blue tooth off and after 5 hours it was at X%"

"From full charge, I put on a movie for exactly 1 hour, and then it had X% left".
    Everyone does weird tests with 45 diff activities. Of course listening to music is diff than video editing... So....

Then my friend and I looked at our "usage" stats and figured out that both of us were burning 1% for every 4.2 minutes of usage. Usage from full charge divided by % used. Sure we could be doing diff things, but generally it should be close.

I'd like others to charge their phones to 100% and then after a few hours of usage, look at their "usage since full charge" in minutes and divide by % used.

Right now, my "Usage time since last full charge" is 2 hours, 55 min. And I have 60% remaining.

So, 2 hours = 120 min + 55= 175 min.
    And in that time I used 40% of my battery.

175/40 percent points = 4.37 min per % point.

Now if I'm totally wrong, someone please tell me? Apple claims the "time usage" is measuring time that the iphone is on, screen on, 'being used'.
    I will test this more, ie does it count phone calls? does it count screen being on? I presume it does not count background apps playing music? But maybe it does. Of course all of this is with 0 background apps running.

If everyone gave us their "4.37 min per % point", we could get an idea of what is "average". This will really help people who are having problems.

I do know, that with Bluetooth off, but wifi/phone in standby, I lose about 1% of battery in 3 hours. Going from 50% to 0% in 8 hours is probably a bad battery or background apps, or the phone not finding service, and constantly looking for it? A good test would be in airplane mode.

So based on my 4.37 min/% (playing some video, some pics, some email, facebook, web browsing), 100 % points will last me 437 min or 7.2 hours.
    I have yet to test that, but we'll see. What is everyone's rate?

4. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

Hi. Run a search here as there is one long thread where we all reported our numbers. You're not alone - others have battery drain. One apple guy told me that if the phone is searching hard for data (connectivity issue), it can drain the battery faster. That's just one part of it.