Battery drain while charging?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emporiky, Nov 16, 2014.

1. emporiky macrumors regular

Hi guys I got my refurb rMBP 15'' several days ago, and while I was playing Tropico 4 (a somewhat demanding game) I noticed that the light on the MacSafe 2 turned orange and than the charge went down to 97%. After I quit the game the battery was fully charged in 2 mins.
    Is this normal behaviour?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yup.

When the computer is utilized at 100% the magsafe does not provide enough power. It'll start taking juice from the battery at that moment. It's a feature, not a bug.

3. c0LdFire macrumors regular

I had a Samsung laptop (i7 / 650M) that did the same thing. As the poster above said, the power supply is just barely not able to handle 100% load. It's not a real problem, though. I had gaming binges on that laptop for 12+ hours without it dipping below 90%. Stand up to take a dump one time and it's back to 100%. It'll never drain.

The alternative for Apple and other manufacturers would be to down clock the components to reduce power draw, causing your game to lag. I think they picked the lesser of two evils.

4. g.t. rags macrumors 6502

i personally prefer to poop and game at the same time... it's why i got a laptop...

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

To put it simple for the mb to charge and run at 100% for gaming the power brick would need to be at least twice the size.