Battery drain while connected to power source

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LukaStellwag, Mar 16, 2011.

1. LukaStellwag macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have a 2011 MBP 15" with the 6750 AMD and a 2.2 Ghz i7 Quad. Under high usage, it drains my battery. Slowly but it does, I just noticed it had dropped 5% while playing WoW for a relative short time. It is connected to an external 24" display.

How can this be? Why isn't Apple delivering a strong enough power supply? I mean, seriously, I don't want my battery to discharge while I do heavy duty stuff. This is not why I bought this laptop...

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

You are using the 85 watt that came with the computer?

And it's not a Cinema 24" LED with a low wattage charger you're connected to?

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

nope, your MBP can drain up to 100W for a short amount of time, but most of the time your under the 85W the power supply can deliver.

simple things like turning off bluetooth if your nor using it, turning down keyboard and screen brightness can get your power usage below the point where it has to drain the battery not to shut down.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are times when your MBP needs more power than AC alone can provide. In such cases, it draws from both AC and battery. It's perfectly normal, and working as designed. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: