Battery Drain with Exchange server???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Guy Mancuso, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Okay I have 4 Iphone 4 now as i upgraded the whole family and what I am noticing is battery life is really pretty good except for my wife's phone. Now she has mail coming from a Exchange server and at first I went 15 minutes than 30 minutes but I am wondering if this is the real drain or not. I'm judging by my phone which has 4 e-mail accounts but no exchange server on it and mine is set for every 15 minutes. Just wondering if anyone is noticing this or has some idea's for me to try and obviously worst case something is wrong with the phone itself.

Thanks for you input

2. fm2503 macrumors member

fm2503

If you have push turned on, and there are complex recurrent calendar entries which iPhone doesn't properly understand this can really nail the battery life when connected to Exchange.

Sadly I've found no sensible way to diagnose if a calendar causes the problems or not (short of sniffing the wire). I've just gone to 15 minute fetch for Exchange which restores normal sensible battery life.

3. GenMacArthur macrumors newbie

No battery issues with me with 2 Exchange accounts configured on my iPhone 4. Still can go two days+ between charges w/ normal use. So much better than my old 3G...

4. Guy Mancuso thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have it set to push so maybe fetch might be a better choice it sounds like. Worth a shot at it

5. Guy Mancuso thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes it is better than her 3G for sure just mine compared to hers is kind of a worldly difference with the exchange server. The other odd thing is she rarely goes on the internet with the phone but I am getting At&T warnings of her hitting her data limit and that could only be exchange. I put a house charger in her car and one in her briefcase. LOL

6. acurafan macrumors 6502a

i have 4 customer exchange accounts on an iphone4 for testing (1x E2k3, 2x E2k7, 1x E2k10), not seeing drastic battery drain here.

edit:
    interesting, i will test with calendar/recurring events...thanks guys.

7. tortfeasor macrumors newbie

I have the same issue and have diagnosed it as a calendar issue. Any idea how to set push/fetch for exchange or calander only and not have to turn off push globally? I would like to limit the calendar sync but still get my mobile me and gmail emails pushed if possible.