Battery drain with Parallax effect in iOS 8?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Skippydoo, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Skippydoo macrumors newbie

ello,
    I'm a battery saver freak, disable most battery-draining feature that is possible, always close apps from the app switcher and so on. I'm coming from iOS 6 to iOS 8, which has the Parallax effect feature. It was introduced in iOS 7 but people said that it drained your battery somewhat. I did turn it off partially because I don't want my icons "floating" on the homescreen and to save some extra battery life. But what I dislike is that with having the Parallax effect off it also affects the animation when opening/closing an app, unlocking/putting phone to sleep really awfully.
    So now finally to my question, have people already done some research if they have improved the way it works to not drain battery as much or is it gonna be a "Either you live with it, or don't" kind of thing? Really wished that atleast they could have seperated the animation and the floating icons feature but I'm stuck having to live with both floating icons and battery drain? :(

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Unfortunately if you ask 100 people you'll get 100 different opinions on battery drain. :) With that said, it's somewhat reasonable because the environment (weak signal) and apps have a tremendous effect on battery life.

So you'll have people that think because it's animated there is power being used to monitor motion and push pixels around. Others will say that it's not or negligible. I'm sorry, I don't have a good answer other than turn it on and if you need more battery life turn it off and see if it makes a difference. :(

3. matthewadams macrumors regular

Left: Reduce Motion ON
    Right: Reduce Motion OFF + shaking the phone a wee bit.

Takes a lil hit on the CPU I guess..
    (Airplane Mode ON + all Apps closed)

Attached Files:

4. Skippydoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Very fair answer though, thanks :)

Thanks for that! :) Stupid half-good feature, if you atleast could separate switching the floatings icons and the animations I would have lived with the some what drain it does. Really hurts everytime the damn icons move. Guess I'll have to live with it because I can't stand the choppy and unnatural animations.

5. matthewadams macrumors regular

Hard to tell really.. I had these features switched off on my old phone (4S) and couldnt be bothered to switch them back on when I came to the 6 :) Kinda makes me wonder what i miss out on though