Resolved Battery Drain

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by richard4339, Aug 26, 2011.

1. richard4339, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

richard4339 macrumors 6502a

Sep 6, 2006
    So, my iPhone 4 on VZW gets normal battery drain during the day. If I freshly charge my phone overnight then by the end of the working day I'm at 80%-90% remaining (8am - 5pm). When I go to bed (4-5 hours later), I'm usually already down another 10%. When I wake up at 7am if I haven't charged my phone overnight, my phone will have 1%-5% charge remaining. I already see that the drain picks up the moment I'm at home.

Here's my wonder. While I'm only 10 miles outside a large town, the service in my house is spotty at best; I'm frequently showing as being on the extended network. Is the fact that it switches between 3G/Other (can't remember the term right now for whatever reason)/Extended causing significant battery drain? If so, is there a way I can turn off the cellular antenna and not wifi?
  2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2010
    Carnegie and Ontario
    Yes, your excessive drain is caused by constant switching of networks, and you should be able to turn off cellular data through settings>general>network. There should be a button near the top. This button will turn off all data you get from VZW/other carriers While still keeping WiFi on. You could also try using Airplane Mode and then going back into WiFi and manually turning it back on.