Battery Drain.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by scottyy, Jul 8, 2016.

1. scottyy macrumors member

I picked up a new apple watch sport 42mm a few days ago. This is my second apple watch. The first was destroyed a few months ago and I finally got around to picking up a new one. It seems that the battery life is terrible. I have IOS10 Beta 2 installed on my iPhone 6 plus and am running watchOS 2.2.1. I do not have any third party apps installed. My brightness and haptic feedback are both on the lowest setting. Silent mode is turn on. I am using the Modular watch face. Last night I turned the watch off/on then unpaired/repaired the watch as a new watch. I only have messages being forwarded to my watch right now.

Yesterday I put the watch on at 7:30am and it died at 6:30pm with what I felt was very minimal usage.
    This morning I put the watch on at 7:30 and right now 10:10am I am at 79%.

Not sure if this is normal but I feel like my last watch would last all day with 10-30%.

2. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

....probably because you are running beta software which is known to eat through battery life!!

I took my 42mm off the charger this morning at 7am. Looking at my watch right now (its 3:37pm here in the UK), and my battery is still sitting at 90%.
    :cool:

3. robertpatryk macrumors member

watchOS 3 beta 2 eats about 10% per hours in my case...

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The OP's AW isn't on the beta, but I don't think beta iOS 10 should make it worse. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

You've at least unpaired and re-paired? If not, do that.

5. scottyy thread starter macrumors member

The watch is not on beta software only my phone. I have unpaired and re-paired as a "new watch".

I just looked at my watch for the first time since my original post and I am down to 68%.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

iOS 10 B1&B2 with wOS 2.2 seems relatively the same on battery life to me.

7. Eduardboon macrumors regular

Check your cellular usage, I have the same problem and it keeps using the "messaging service". Wiped my data bundle out in a few days.

8. robertpatryk macrumors member

When you set up your Watch as new, do you still have your past activity?

9. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

The activity is stored in the backup made when you in-pair your watch so if you set up as new . . . .

10. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

So you can now use watchOS 2.2.1 with iOS beta 10???

11. teidon macrumors 6502

teidon

You must use encrypted backup for your phone or none of the fitness and health related data won't be backed up. If you backup your phone to iCloud you are good to go. If you backup to iTunes you have to make sure it's encrypted.

EDIT: And I just red your message. If you set up the watch as new, it will indeed be new. There won't be any data in it. Your collected health and fitness data will still be in your phone, and your "new" watch will continue to add to it.

This has been always possible. But you can't use wOS3 with iOS9

12. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

I've been running the iOS 10 beta and my watch is lasting a normal days of use for me.

13. scottyy thread starter macrumors member

Update. After a few days of killing it twice a day it seems to be on par with my first AW. Not sure if cycling the battery did the trick or what but now it lasts from 6am-midnight with 10-20% left even on moderate usage days.

14. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I'm running watchOS beta 2 (I know you're not but it's still battery related). The first three or four days my watch wasn't lasting through my work day. Now I've had it on since 8:30 am, it is 12:20 am and I'm at 20%. I think when you first pair/unpair, or whatever combination you do, it takes a few days before things sync or whatever and the watch gets normal battery life. Just a semi-educated guess, I could be completely off but this seems to be my personal experience with the watch.