iPad Pro Battery Drain

pete2106

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
I've been using the 12.9" iPad Pro.

Has anyone else noticed that the battery seems to drain fairly quickly even when it's asleep?

I fully charged it yesterday evening and it sat asleep overnight, when I woke it in the morning, it had dropped 10%. My Air 2 doesn't even drop that much when asleep.

Is anyone else noticing this or is it just mine?

Reactions: philmore13

philmore13

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
NC
Noticing the same thing here, battery drained around 10% overnight, and another 15% after 1hour of youtube. 25% loss with 1 hour of use basically.....

Reactions: pete2106

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I've been using the 12.9" iPad Pro.

Has anyone else noticed that the battery seems to drain fairly quickly even when it's asleep?

I fully charged it yesterday evening and it sat asleep overnight, when I woke it in the morning, it had dropped 10%. My Air 2 doesn't even drop that much when asleep.

Is anyone else noticing this or is it just mine?
Mine dropped 25% overnight recently with pencil attached

pete2106

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
Mine dropped 25% overnight recently with pencil attached
Funnily enough, I had my pencil attached too. I'm gonna try leaving it off tonight to see if the battery goes as much. Maybe it was constantly topping up the pencil.

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Funnily enough, I had my pencil attached too. I'm gonna try leaving it off tonight to see if the battery goes as much. Maybe it was constantly topping up the pencil.
Think it might be the cause as I took my iPad off charge at 10.55am and with not touching it at 15.23pm it’s on 87%

So may keep pencil off and not use the iPad and see how it is later without the pencil attached.

Reactions: pete2106

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I would also think that some power would be going to background items like email, etc.

I leave my 11" on 24/7 and I do not think it uses more than a percent or two overnight. I do not use the Apple pencil.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Not mine. As I mentioned in another post. I left the pencil attached to ipad overnight. BT on. Wifi off. Both registered 100% after about 10 hours

pete2106

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
So I was messing about with it last night. I didn't realise that the pencil disconnects the bluetooth connection after 5-10 mins of being idle when not attached to the side of the iPad but when it's connected to the magnetic side the bluetooth connection remains active.

Looks like if you leave the pencil attached all the time, there's the constant bluetooth drain on the battery and also the iPad will be constantly topping up the battery in the pencil so there'll be that drain too.

Gonna try leaving the pencil in the case when I'm not using it.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
So I was messing about with it last night. I didn't realise that the pencil disconnects the bluetooth connection after 5-10 mins of being idle when not attached to the side of the iPad but when it's connected to the magnetic side the bluetooth connection remains active.

Looks like if you leave the pencil attached all the time, there's the constant bluetooth drain on the battery and also the iPad will be constantly topping up the battery in the pencil so there'll be that drain too.

Gonna try leaving the pencil in the case when I'm not using it.
Once again, this has not been the case with mine. So if you feel you have a defective product, just exchange it and don't worry about battery drain

jfm010

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2006
My previous iPad was an Air from 2013 with more or less daily use. I was expecting my new Pro 11” to have a far greater battery life. Unfortunately it’s worse than my 5 year old iPad... There seems to be a heavy drain even when the screen is off. I went to sleep with 15% left yesterday night (restarted the iPad and closed all apps) and today it was completely drained. Hopefully this can be fixed with an update.

Edit: No pencil attached

pete2106

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
My previous iPad was an Air from 2013 with more or less daily use. I was expecting my new Pro 11” to have a far greater battery life. Unfortunately it’s worse than my 5 year old iPad... There seems to be a heavy drain even when the screen is off. I went to sleep with 15% left yesterday night (restarted the iPad and closed all apps) and today it was completely drained. Hopefully this can be fixed with an update.

Edit: No pencil attached
Yeah, I have an Air 2 which get's a lot more use and has much better battery life. It's kind of a mute point now. I've decided to return the iPad Pro. I bought it for University work and I've been using it for about a week now. The writing experience isn't nearly as comfortable as I thought it would be. The hard plastic nib on the pencil doesn't make writing on glass very pleasant. That along with the battery life issues and some really fussy palm rejection issues I've had mean I don't think it's right for what I need. Shame though, it's a beautiful device and if the battery life had been better than my Air 2 I'd have kept the Pro as my new day-to-day iPad.